Camper trailer - with single dirt bike rack
2 2

12 posts in this topic

Hi All, 

Currently in the market to buy a soft floor camper BUT I really would  like to be able to somehow carry 1 dirt bike on it. Any recommendations on modifications or brands that have this option? I'm assuming we'd have to look at drawbar and loose out on toolbox room. 
Would love to hear from anyone who has one! 

Alison :)

Hi

I'm looking at doing the same thing with our camper. I have a extended length triple drawbar that accommodates a very large tool box and the spare. I'm thinking about removing the tool box and put some c channel with a couple of mounting points for the tie downs.

Other option is to get someone to weld on a better bike rack mount to the back and put a mo-tow in the hitch. Then I can use the mo-tow instead of a trailer when not using the camper as well. Been seeing quite a few of these lately.

Every time I go camping with the family I always say I could fit in a couple of hours of riding as I watch everyone else riding around.

• Like 1

I do like the idea of the motow, it would serve a double purpose here too.
Will suss out the dealers and see what they can do about upgrading that back hitch. Thanks for your input!

I built a towbar for the back of my old camper trailer to take a motow and it was fairly strong. I tested it with my old xr350 and it seemed alright but there is a heap more stresses and strains that happen at the back of a camper that dont happen as much as on the back of the car. I would say the best option is to modify drawbar to suit. If you have a look at most bike rack carriers they say not to go on behind vans etc. We had a pushbike rack break from the stresses (and probably a dodgy weld) and ground the kids bikes to a shiny hot mess for 10 odd km!

• Like 3

A few of my mates have had rails for bikes put on the draw bar on their camp trailers, both been by Serg and Tubby here on the forum after a few years have not been any issues. Try hitting them up.:-)

• Like 1

If you are buying new, it should be easy for the builder to up grade the chassis and drawbar to hold a dirtbike. 

I have a MoTow carrier and was looking to use it on the back of my camper trailer. Seems solid enough. As the tail lights are obstructed I would normally use a trailer light panel connected to the 7 pin socket on the vehicle instead of the trailer plug. However my camper has electric brakes so i would need both plugged in. I have not been able to find any type of 'double adapter'. Wondering if anyone else has ever come across this problem?

I have a MoTow carrier and was looking to use it on the back of my camper trailer. Seems solid enough. As the tail lights are obstructed I would normally use a trailer light panel connected to the 7 pin socket on the vehicle instead of the trailer plug. However my camper has electric brakes so i would need both plugged in. I have not been able to find any type of 'double adapter'. Wondering if anyone else has ever come across this problem?
I did this and got Werribee Auto Elec to fit a point to the back of my trailer for the motow to plug into. I made a towbar up for the trailer but I didn't really like the forces applied to the motow back that far so stopped using it. It would have been better on the drawbar

You need a minimum of 20/30 kg downwards force on the tow ball when you lift the trailer on . If it's rear heavy it will tow like the rear weighted trailer in the video above which is suicide.

Standard is a minimum of 10 % of the loaded trailer weight as towball downforce weight with 12-15% being best.

Most trailer manufacturers deliberately under rate the weight of the camper trailer or caravan and the unsuspecting owner is regulary over the gvm once loaded. Weigh the ball weight loaded and unloaded and also put the trailer on a weighbridge as delivered and when fully loaded.

• Like 1