Does anyone ride with or like pivot pegz? I searched for threads but none came up so sorry if there's one already existing. I bought some to try mostly because I just wanted wider pegs as my stock ones were very narrow and uncomfortable to stand on, so I thought I'd give them a go as they sounded good in theory. Granted I have only ridden on them a couple of times after returning from serious injury, but... I don't think I like them?

I thought they'd make me feel more planted on the bike, but they actually make me feel more unstable. Just riding along on the flat-ish they tilt backward so make me have to shift forward more/actively point my toes down which takes conscious effort. It may be because I like to stand more on the balls of my feet than have my arch on the pegs as is 'traditional'. I'm sure you'd eventually get use to them, but does anyone like them or think they're beneficial to use? Do I just have shitty body positioning and the pegs will teach me to position better? Should I not give up on them just yet? More knowledgeable opinions would be appreciated.

I have had them on for a while, and love em. I felt more planted straight away than when I had the regular KTM pegs, and I dont notice them moving. I also ride on the ball of my feet as well.

They are probably like stegpegz though, some people love em and others find they get in the way. Try a few more rides on them and if you still don't like them change then out for wider fixed pegs!!

Sent from my HUAWEI KII-L22 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Better off to stick with standard pegs.
These will set your riding backards if you start getting into technical riding while learning to ride. If you find you can't move your foot you either have the wrong boots,wrong lever position setup or your body position is not ideal.
Plenty of better options out there that don't move. You want your feet firm and planted not moving.
Look at fastway pegs or even rhk if you want a cheaper reasonable option.

• Like 2

I've only tried them on someone elses bike and it was a weird feeling. I have bought the fastway pegs cluffie mentioned. Not cheap but it is a very big platform that is very reassuring and I would get some for my next bike.

• Like 2

I had pivot pegs on my previous bike and found them hard to get used to with the constant movement. I also noted that on steep climbs or descents my feet were pointing the wrong way and it was harder to use the controls, extra stress on legs than was needed resulting in a period of riding the ended in frequent leg cramps. I took them of, sold them put on a set of RHK Pegs on and problems all solved.
To Cluffie's point I think everything on the bike should be firm so that you get a good riding position the movement of the pegs at times I found could prohibit this

• Like 5

The only reason I would use them would be for going up hills, but if they pivot backwards instead of forwards when doing hill climbs as Habs said, it wouldn't make your forearms feel very good by the end of the day, so no good to me.  

• Like 2
8 hours ago, ohmygewd said:

Cluffie, are you saying that the pivot pegz are no good  or riding on your balls of ya feet?

I don't like them and i don't know any of the top riders that use them. They put unnessary strain on the ankle,tendons and knees from not being solid and constantly moving.  They may help somebody with a disability or a fused ankle?

• Like 2

I tried them on a mates adventure bike and hated them. Why you want movement in an area you are relying on to be fixed is beyond me. 

Having said that, he loves them but he is much more a road rider. I have found that amongst my mates the ones who like them are from a road background and not ultra confident off road so maybe there is something that helps them position their feet in rough terrain with the Pivot Pegs.

Not saying your are not confident off road Chris ! haha :)

That's exactly how I felt, strange standing on something moving when it use to feel solid. Makes you more unsure with steering because you have to correct your position so much more. And yes by the end of the ride my calves were sore from pointing my toes and my forearms for having to constantly pull myself forward while the pegs wanted to tilt back all the time. Rarely did they want to go forward. Think I definitely prefer the solidness of fixed pegs and letting your legs do the work. Glad to know its not just me.

• Like 1
I tried them on a mates adventure bike and hated them. Why you want movement in an area you are relying on to be fixed is beyond me. 
Having said that, he loves them but he is much more a road rider. I have found that amongst my mates the ones who like them are from a road background and not ultra confident off road so maybe there is something that helps them position their feet in rough terrain with the Pivot Pegs.
Not saying your are not confident off road Chris ! haha

Haha I can confidently fall off with the best of them!!
It did make me think though, even though I do like them it may be the cause of why my knees really start to hurt, and I can't remember them being like that before I put the pegs on....May have to swap to the original ones and see if that makes a difference....
Or it could just be that I am getting older!!
  • Like 1

I run them.

They felt good straight away for me. 

I dont feel unstable or anything like that. they gave me better rear brake feel and the fact that my ankle is is one position even though I am leaning back or forward gives me less strain on the joint.

At the end of the day its whatever works for you.

Dont listen to all the rubbish about the best riders do or dont use something.

We are not the best riders, we just want to get out and enjoy ourselves on the weekend and feeling comfortable and confident while doing it.

But then again I am only a hack that knows what works for me.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Geoffyboy said:

I run them.

They felt good straight away for me. 

I dont feel unstable or anything like that. they gave me better rear brake feel and the fact that my ankle is is one position even though I am leaning back or forward gives me less strain on the joint.

At the end of the day its whatever works for you.

Dont listen to all the rubbish about the best riders do or dont use something.

We are not the best riders, we just want to get out and enjoy ourselves on the weekend and feeling comfortable and confident while doing it.

But then again I am only a hack that knows what works for me.

Another View, it would be handy if we had these part's lying around, so we didn't waste money if you didn't jell with what where trying. I still have my stegpegz that I tried, to restrictive for me I must move around to much when I'm trying to fall off, now once again wasting money the misses want's to kill me!!!

• Like 3
Another View, it would be handy if we had these part's lying around, so we didn't waste money if you didn't jell with what where trying. I still have my stegpegz that I tried, to restrictive for me I must move around to much when I'm trying to fall off, now once again wasting money the misses want's to kill me!!!

True. I have spent some money on stuff that i didnt end up liking.
I end up giving it to someone else who may like it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

i use Pivot Pegs, have done since I purchased my old 98 RMX which had them fitted to it..... at least now after reading some of the comments/opinions above I know why I'm a shit rider - its due to my pegs! :ph34r::ph34r:

jokes aside, the first ride I had on that bike was at Neerim, we stopped about 20 minutes in and I said to the other blokes "i fu#&en hate these things"... we continued riding and at the next stop about an hour later I said to the blokes "I fu#&en love these things"!.... When I purchased my Kato I purchased a set of the mk3 pivot pegs straight away, this was because A) I liked the pivot pegs and B ) I was one ride back from a broken foot so wanted a wide platform..

whilst I do like them I have been giving thought lately to trying some fastways or similar. I dont notice them moving around nor do notice any fatigue etc that I would attribute to them but having said that I have ridden with for 6+ years straight so dont really know any different.

I think once easter is over and I start getting back out on a regular basis I might put the genuine pegs on for a ride and see what I think - its just a shame they aren't wider...

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, GrahamCRF450x said:

I have pivot pegs and have had none of the issues quoted above. Each to their own. I don't ride on the balls of my feet cos I'm a fat bastard. As Cluffie said none of the pros use them, but i'm not a pro and never will be. I just like them :)

Each to there own exactly! What one person likes may not work for another. But as long as we keep trying things there will be plenty to debate, another great topic.

I'd agree with the last 2 posts. I put pivot pegs on my FE501 because my ankles were always sore after a ride. I thought they would give my ankles a bit more movement, they don't move around as much as you think. Infact I don't even notice them anymore.

They do defeat the purpose of steg pegz though, you will find your ankles rolling backwards up hills.

On 24/04/2017 at 7:16 PM, Trento said:

I'd agree with the last 2 posts. I put pivot pegs on my FE501 because my ankles were always sore after a ride. I thought they would give my ankles a bit more movement, they don't move around as much as you think. Infact I don't even notice them anymore.

They do defeat the purpose of steg pegz though, you will find your ankles rolling backwards up hills.

All depends on your riding position. If your standing and have your knees bent they will tend to be level or tilted forward going up hill. For down hill they will be level or tilted back depending on your body position.The angle they tilt at is not huge. They are designed to keep maximum grip on the boots as much as possible. Hills were the reason I got mine and for me they make a big difference.

I have Steg pegs too but I tend only to notice them when I put on a squirt of power.  Stegs and pivots work together once you get used to them.