cobraone

new bike not sure about it

hey guys just wondering what you would do.took a2yrold beta 300 for aride felt real good picked up a new one last friday went for a ride with mates sunday.now i loved it (compared to the wr450 i had)so light and agile and so torquey suspension very nice.here is the thing i am just an average rider i was somewhat intimidated by the power.but i enjoyed it.i was told to turn power valve to calm it down but havent yet.so not really after advice but if it was you would you give it time and a few rides or would you take a hit and trade it back in on another while its new.now i think i will keep it i owe it to me the bike and my bank account,but just curious what others would do.thanks guys.cheers.

• Like 3

Keep the bike, change the power valve you can always change it back once you good with the bike. You will be all over it soon enough

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, cobraone said:

yeah thats what the guy at the shop said if its a bit aggressive thanks.

Do that,after you gel with it you could be looking for more punch ! 

• Like 1

On the beta you don't need to muck around and change pv springs like you have to with the ktm.
Wind the power valve out (anticlockwise) with the supplied tool in the beta tool kit so that it is flush with the outer case.
Now mark it with a texta and wind it in (clockwise) 3 and a half full turns from the flush position. This will calm it down and the engine will lug down to near idle up hills like a tractor. This makes a big difference on the beta. If it is to tame then turn it back out at 1/2 a turn increments until you like it
Also you could try riding it in the wet map position as that tames them down a lot. I don't like it but it certainly tames them and it may suit you.

• Like 7

As Cluffie and the boys said just tame it down and you'll love it. No mucking around with power valve springs in the beta, do as Cluffie said and you will find the bike so versatile. P-Valves make a huge difference. Enjoy your new bike. 

• Like 3

You might also want to do the jetting on the carb to improve tank range as it might be a bit thirsty ? Is this true on the betas?

• Like 2

thanks hoff .i went back out tuesday (turned the screw in half a turn)huge difference almost to much but i will leave it for awhile till i get a bit used to it.i was told that pete thanks for that.thanks for the encouragement guys really appreciate it.

• Like 2

You can de-tune the 2 stroke so easy, so well done, you can relax and enjoy the bike now, you may screw it in or out a little more until you feel entirely comfortable. You can make them so mellow.         

You might also want to do the jetting on the carb to improve tank range as it might be a bit thirsty ? Is this true on the betas?

Beta are no different to any 2t brand and need jetting to suit the riders use and conditions.

All brands should be able to be set up to get at least 10 km per litre. Yamaha 2t seems to be the heaviest on fuel of them all. Manafacturers cover there arse by setting a high float level and extra rich jetting. You can understand this as the bikes could be used for all purposes and all calibres of riders. Last thing they want is somebody to have a piston melt or a seizure caused by running lean and expecting warranty.

• Like 3

actually funny you shoud mention it, as i have had two rides so far and i have  quite a bit of oil splash all over the carb and barrel after each ride.i think its coming out of the rubber seal were thre pipe and muffler join.when the shop owner is back from holiday next week i will have a talk with him.cheers.

actually funny you shoud mention it, as i have had two rides so far and i have  quite a bit of oil splash all over the carb and barrel after each ride.i think its coming out of the rubber seal were thre pipe and muffler join.when the shop owner is back from holiday next week i will have a talk with him.cheers.

My ktm did same when I got it bit of spooge it is, hard stuff to get off to.
I put 2 hose clamps on te rubber joiner 1 at each end looks factory and no more mess.
Just a option for you
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, cobraone said:

G'day mate, sounds like the bike is running too rich if it's leaking oil from rubber joiner.

Is this your first 2 stroke?

IMO, lf you are going to keep this bike, l think you should do yourself a favour and read this sticky (http://www.dirtriderz.com/topic/1758-carburetor-theory-and-tuning/) as this poster describes, abet a bit technical, on how carbs work and how to tune it.

Doesn't matter what brand 2 stroke it is, when ex EFI 4T riders splurge on a >brand< 250 or 300, they largely get disappointed and frustrated that the bike hesitates here, doesn't make power here, fouling etc etc that they often sell it. Sure, PV springs will help dampen the power to enable low down torque but when you start to feel and hear a well tuned 2 stroke for the riding that you do (yes, you tune the jetting for the type of riding), that's when you'll get the benefits of PV tweaks.

• Like 1

thanks mate will do that .also be talking to the beta shop owner he is pretty switched on,hopefully sort things out .cheers.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, cobraone said:

thanks mate will do that .also be talking to the beta shop owner he is pretty switched on,hopefully sort things out .cheers.

So sounds like your not happy with the Beta? do you want me to make you an offer?!

mmm not sure if your serious.i might have after the first ride but after detuning it for the second ride feeling better about it.thanks though.

• Like 2

Hey Cabrone, I recently went from a 500 4t to a beta 300. The first couple of rides the fuel economy was worse than 1 litre per 10 kms, I think 7+ litres to 60 kms. After speaking with the shop I bought it from he sent out a new jet and needle, which I fitted and also lowered the float level while the carb was off. He also said the economy would improve as the motor frees up. The bike is now about 300 kms old and last ride i did was 75 k's i think and only used 6 litres of fuel. I love the 300, it's so light tractable and has plenty of poke. I'm glad it's you've made a bit milder and more manageable for yourself. Did you buy yours in Ballarat?

• Like 3

Hi Cobraone

sorry I know that this is an old post but just wanted to see how you are finding the Beta now. 

Im in much the same situation as you were and I'm thinking of getting either a new Beta 300 or the KTM 350. 

Have you opened it up a bit more now that you have been riding it for a while? I'm hoping that if I get the 300 while it might take a while to get used to the power and changing from a 4st, I will grow into it rather than out of it. 

cheers

Lockey I did the same and went from a 06 WR250F to my first 2 stroke, a 2016 Beta 300RR. I would call myself a very average rider and at 43 had been off bikes for 12 years. I found the 300RR to be a great bike. Started with the power valve 2 1/2 turns in and and have wound it out to 1 turn in now. I have also fitted a map switch as the 16's didnt have one fitted. You can ride them a gear higher and just lug around or get it on the pipe and blast through everything. I know I wont be going back to a 4 stroke now. Love how light and nimble the 300RR feels.

On 2/6/2017 at 5:33 PM, berg.300simmo said:

Just change the power valve spring to the stiff one wind out the screw (i think) and go for it that should tame it a little

Winding it in will calm it down.