Driving with the tail down!

11 posts in this topic

As the title states guys does anyone know the actual rules in regards to driving with the bikes in the back and the tail gate down. Most people head away this time of year and 2 bikes in the back of the ute requires the tail gate down. I've had a quick look over the adr and vsi and it seems it's ok but the figures in the adr seem excessive 

Not sure if legal but having a twincab ute thats how I roll everytime I go riding and have had police cars follow/pass ect including highway patrol and never had a issue.
Interested to know myself

This is an interesting thread.

When we tow a caravan or trailer the number plate shown on that item is used. with the car rego plate been blocked.

The number plates on the bikes can be seen by over head cameras?

Order or make a temporary number plate to fix to the tailgate. So long as the rear lights aren't obscured and the number plate is at the furthest point of the car. Should not be a problem? Same as when using a push bike carrier attached to the tow ball.

• Like 1

thats what I thought. I just moved the number plate with a few self tapers so now is clear as day. Cheers fellas

This is an interesting thread.
When we tow a caravan or trailer the number plate shown on that item is used. with the car rego plate been blocked.
The number plates on the bikes can be seen by over head cameras?
Order or make a temporary number plate to fix to the tailgate. So long as the rear lights aren't obscured and the number plate is at the furthest point of the car. Should not be a problem? Same as when using a push bike carrier attached to the tow ball.

I agree with you cruiser but how many guys with dirt bike do see doing this?,Iv seem non.
Also what about if it's a mx bike with no number plate.

I went through this problem this year when i was thinking of buying a dual cab, but after talking to guys that have been fined for having the tailgate down, it put me of.
  • Like 1

yeah don't know what the law says. But surely if the number plate of the car is fixed at the furthest point. ????

So much grey area.

If it were me!!!! And the numberplate was at the furthest point of the car. I would want evidence from the copper of the charge.

I would possibly then take it to court.

Would really like to know the legalities of having the tailgate down.  Is that an offence on its own? Should we have to flag the tailgate like you would any other long load.

• Like 1

I to have my tailgate down with bike on the back of my dual cab, cops have passed me and never pulled me over, but I do have a home made number plate print out and laminated and taped to the end of the tailgate, I have read of one guy that got booked for the overhang rule in Mansfield but didn't  have a plate fixed at the end of the tailgate, I guess it comes down to what mood the cop is in. 

HeavyVehicleRearOverhangLimitsForCarsAndTrucksInVictoria.pdf

Good pdf Sean.

For those that do put the tailgate down for the bike. Note the R/OH (rear overhang) is only allowed to be 60% of your WB. (wheel base)

Make sure you are within this or put your bike in on an angle. You may be surprised just how little overhang you are allowed. The tailgate isn't a good guide Just because your wheel sits on it nicely.

When standing at a certain distance behind a ute you have to be able to see the number plate. I believe that the tail gate has to be at an angle of 45 degrees or more to the ground. If you can push the tail gate up against the rear tyre of the bike and then secure it then you should be ok. Alternatively you could buy an auxiliary plate like you would for a bike rack and attach it to the rear of the tail gate.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk