Nick300

Electric dirt bike review Oset 24 2017? Anyone?

Interested to hear if anyone has any feedback on Oset 24 2017 electric trials bike or any electric dirt bike for training? I live inner city near parks and see the Oset 24 as a potential game changer to get out and ride more often and train for extreme enduro on my KTM300 'not so quite!'. For $6K new it looks a lot better than the $8-$13K options such as Stealth, Kuburg, E-motion and others. It has come out this month in Australia but little info online. If there are any other options also very happy to hear?

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, TRAILZ said:

Are they street legal?

I doubt they would be street legal, but they do look like a heap of fun

• Like 2

Maybe one of these Trailz for my back yard (Wr450f replacement):). I'd love to read some reviews on them!

Trails Experience is the Melbourne Dealer
  • Like 1

Maybe one of these Trailz for my back yard (Wr450f replacement). I'd love to read some reviews on them!

Trails Experience is the Melbourne Dealer

Being a sparky im sure you could tweak it to match the 450
  • Like 3

Thinking out loud here. Would the narrower tyres on this style electric bike make riding our preferred terrain harder or easier? I understand mountain bikers to some serious stupid trails etc, but what about when it comes to rock gardens where having a big footprint moulding over a rock is a benefit or less chance of a wider tyre falling down a narrow gap in rocks making it easier to keep momentum? What about sandy tracks, they couldn't be as fun then of course hill climbs where we all run low pressures to get a big footprint to assist the climb. I see them being harder to ride with a narrow tyre. The promo vids are always by Pros!

• Like 1

I'd say easier . We need the wider foot print on our bikes to get enough traction to move 100kg of bike+rider up the nasty hills. A much lighter bike will allow for a narrower width tyre. Whether they are too thin though we will never know till we are on a familiar nasty hill and hitting it .

In a difficult situation and such a low seat height and such a light bike you will just lift it from the bars up a good foot if need be while it's still between the legs ... Energy savings on every obstacle where you need to push and shove
Pop it on your shoulder and walk through the rock garden...
I'd much rather push and drag one of these through a rock garden any day . In fact I'd be happy to try a rock garden . At present on my 300 I feel I don't have the upper body strength as after a few shoves I'm pretty beat. I could probably do it but I wouldn't enjoy it.

• Like 2

Thats the other point of view I was wanting to read Pete. But walk through a rock garden? We could just stay at home too and have no fun!

• Like 2

Thats the other point of view I was wanting to read Pete. But walk through a rock garden? We could just stay at home too and have no fun!

It would be more fun than pushing a bike that weighs more than you for only a few seconds at a time then bending over feeling broken and panting only to repeat a few more hundred times ... It would still be a challenge. I'm sure you could and would still try and ride lots of it ... It would turn the extremely hard into the a bit easier extremely hard.

• Like 1

my kids would  love one of these so i better not show them or it will cost me a small fortune.

wonder how long the batteries last?  Also rear tyres may be an issue and work out expensive as a really good puncture resistant mountain bike tyre is dearer then a motorcycle tyre.. 

• Like 3

Good point Cluffie re getting the tyres and battery lasting time on a ride and also life expectancy are all things to be considered .

I just googled them they weight in at 49kg!
FAQ tells me batteries will go about an hour or two doing what we do I think as mx racing will last around 40 minutes
http://osetbikes.com/au/support-en-AU/faq-en-AU/
Batteries are inexpensive sealed lead acid and carrying a spare is not only feasible it's reccomended.
Maybe we should do a group buy and by a "Dirtriderz one " and take it on rides with us .. We all carry a spare battery and ride it all day sharing it round. $600 each for ten of us + each buy a spare battery.
Or $300 each x 20
  • Like 1

I was only thinking of riding it around home and practicing skills. Do they have a clutch lever. I know they wouldn't have an actual clutch but I've read of some electric bikes having a clutch lever that is really just like another throttle that feeds the power in from the right hand throttle. If that makes sense.... ?

As for legal, in Vic it's not considered a power assisted bicycle as it exceeds 200 Watts (1400 Watts) and has no pedals. Bumber, but I figure you've got less chance getting into strife with the cops if ur making no noise and little speed, compare that to the Stealth Bomber and Kuburg freeride where you would be getting up some decent speed and hitting jumps near public places that might get some attention. As for performance in rock gardens I'd imagine very good at 49kg, sandy not so good without enough power. These are definitely the sort of situations I'd love to hear how it performs on, I don't expect the world, just want it to get my fat ass up a hill without too much trouble! Here's the only other clip I could find online

• Like 2