MrNoodle

Any advice for a business laptop?

Chasing a new Laptop for work, doesn't have to be the greatest one for gaming etc, but I do like buying a half decent one that isn't slow. Need it just to run a small business, mostly invoicing and tax stuff. Probably a 15.6" screen. Even just specs that I should be looking for would be appreciated. The computer world changes pretty quick so I am always behind the times when I look them up.  My current laptop is a Lenovo ideapad i5 with 6GB ram with 700GB memory so needs to be better than that. I've had this one for a few years so would expect it to be faster and better. Cheers

• Like 2

SAMSUNG laptops are great value.  Easy to use, with technology that does span for a few more years than most without upgrades...

For additional saving capacity i use a separate hard drive that i slot into the USB...

Here's a link to the newer versions, series 7-8 are still good;

https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-introduces-new-notebook-9-series-for-2016

• Like 1

Hey Mr Noodles (while l'm in work mode)

What's your max budget?

Do you need to run databases or design software on this laptop?

Is weight an issue?

Do you need a built in DVD drive or happy to carry a plugin DVD?

Is this the primary unit for your business or do you also have a workstation, meaning you use this more for mobility sakes?

So many units on the market and a lot of bullshit as well hence some of my questions!!

At a minimum, you want:

• Core i5 Processor minimum 5th gen (codes start with Core i5-5xxx) with 4mb L3 Cache
  • 8GB memory in a single 8GB stick not 2x4GB as it occupies the mem slots.
  • 256GB SSD (500GB SSD better)
  • If you are using graphic intensive programs like CAD/Photochop/any design tool buy a gaming laptop which has a separate graphics processor rather than the standard inbuilt processor which uses part of the CPU...don't get talked into a business laptop as graphic intensive laptops are either classed as gaming or mobile workstation
  • Wifi, bluetooth etc should be standard.
  • Win 10 Pro 64 minimum or Win 7 Pro 64bit with downgrade rights to Win 10 (meaning you have a licence to upgrade to Win10 if required)
  • Max weight 2.15 kg
  • 3yr onsite Warranty.

A "decent" laptop that l buy for my business is a HP 450/Dell Vostro?Toshiba Tecra/Lenovo Thinkpad.

A Microsoft Surface Pro 4 is excellent for portability and mobility however the Lenovo Ideapad Miix 700 is probably better value!!

If your laptop is around 4-5 years old and has a 4th gen Core i5 or i7 processor, upgrade it by simply getting more memory and replacing the old mechanical HDD with an SSD...if you like to tinker, pull the cover off and replace the thermal paste of the CPU and GPU and with the above, away you go.

Anyway, enough geekism:P

10 hours ago, ohmygewd said:

Hey Mr Noodles (while l'm in work mode)

What's your max budget? Around $1000 -  $1500

Do you need to run databases or design software on this laptop? Nope, just word for reports and quickbooks or something for invoicing, tax stuff etc.

Is weight an issue? It will be the lovelies so maybe

Do you need a built in DVD drive or happy to carry a plugin DVD? I dont know what a plugin dvd is. I do like the ability to use a dvd but probably only used my current one a couple of times. Times have changed

Is this the primary unit for your business or do you also have a workstation, meaning you use this more for mobility sakes? My wife is taking over from my father and he has the main computer but this will probably be the main computer.

So many units on the market and a lot of bullshit as well hence some of my questions!!

At a minimum, you want:

• Core i5 Processor minimum 5th gen (codes start with Core i5-5xxx) with 4mb L3 Cache
  • 8GB memory in a single 8GB stick not 2x4GB as it occupies the mem slots.
  • 256GB SSD (500GB SSD better)
  • If you are using graphic intensive programs like CAD/Photochop/any design tool buy a gaming laptop which has a separate graphics processor rather than the standard inbuilt processor which uses part of the CPU...don't get talked into a business laptop as graphic intensive laptops are either classed as gaming or mobile workstation
  • Wifi, bluetooth etc should be standard.
  • Win 10 Pro 64 minimum or Win 7 Pro 64bit with downgrade rights to Win 10 (meaning you have a licence to upgrade to Win10 if required)
  • Max weight 2.15 kg
  • 3yr onsite Warranty.

A "decent" laptop that l buy for my business is a HP 450/Dell Vostro?Toshiba Tecra/Lenovo Thinkpad.

A Microsoft Surface Pro 4 is excellent for portability and mobility however the Lenovo Ideapad Miix 700 is probably better value!!

If your laptop is around 4-5 years old and has a 4th gen Core i5 or i7 processor, upgrade it by simply getting more memory and replacing the old mechanical HDD with an SSD...if you like to tinker, pull the cover off and replace the thermal paste of the CPU and GPU and with the above, away you go.

Anyway, enough geekism:P

Cheers heaps for your response and I just replied in your text above. I will research those options

No problems!!

http://h20386.www2.hp.com/AustraliaStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=Z4P23PA&opt=&sel=NTB *Latest Gen CPU (7th)

MSY in Geelong have the G3 at a cheaper rate which l would then purchase 3yr onsite warranty from HP (known as Care Packs)

http://www.msy.com.au/viconline/notebooks/16881-hp-probook-g3-450t3z15pt-i5-6200u-8gb-1tb-156-dvdrw-win7pro-64bitw10p-upgradeable.html

http://h20386.www2.hp.com/AustraliaStore/Merch/List.aspx?sel=CPK&ctrl=f

Plugin DVD is a portable DVD caddy : http://www.msy.com.au/viconline/optical-drives/16481--samsung-se-208gb-external-slim-size-usb-dvd-rw-retail.html
*Only ever require one if you were purchasing ultrabooks or laptops that have no DVD drives.

Pretty much the specs l would look at for a laptop MrNoodles, head down to JB or Harvey's and scope out their range also don't forget to look at HP/Dell/Lenovo websites to buy direct.