Brucie.T

GoPro HERO5 Black

Was excited reading all these press releases,  especially on the Karma drone...   and I'm well overdue to upgrade my H3B but not sure if this is the camera for me just yet.   Battery life looks like a huge improvement,   but I just saw what the digital IS looks like in this clip.    It's bad.      Can't imagine that looking good on the bike.

Optical image stabilisation will always destroy digital,  so my upgrade might end up being a Sony...

Battery life will have to improve especially with voice control and the mic's will be interesting as well especially how it handles wind shearing.

Damn it, only just bought a H4S not long ago:huh:

4 hours ago, faultline said:

Was excited reading all these press releases,  especially on the Karma drone...   and I'm well overdue to upgrade my H3B but not sure if this is the camera for me just yet.   Battery life looks like a huge improvement,   but I just saw what the digital IS looks like in this clip.    It's bad.      Can't imagine that looking good on the bike.

Optical image stabilisation will always destroy digital,  so my upgrade might end up being a Sony...

Was hoping you'd chime in for your opinion, yeah that does look average in the clip.

what's the go to Sony cam?

16 hours ago, Brucie.T said:

Was hoping you'd chime in for your opinion, yeah that does look average in the clip.

what's the go to Sony cam?

Sony action cams mostly have similar electronic image stabilising (EIS) like the GoPro (yuck) ,  except for the newest high end one - the FDR-X3000 4K.      Optical IS  on any camera or lens system simply blows EIS away (think software post scaling and warping like YouTube offers when it detects your footage is shaky.   It looks bad and users of it should feel bad).    It's new on the Sony,  and pretty expensive .  Also Sony generally offer less mount options than GoPro.    Pixel for pixel image quality (ignoring IS, EIS or lack there of)  they're as good as each other.    But stabilisation options between them are night and day.

^^ This footage is just the camera,   with optical IS,   no gimbal or other toys to stabilise.   It's pretty darn good.    If I'm gonna drop $600-700 on an action cam,   i want it to blow my H3B out of the water so more research is necessary I reckon!   

^^ Here's the Sony optical IS on a roadie verses Non-IS Hero4 .     Sony wins.

^^ Finally his comparison is a little unfair/unscientific - a H3B on a 3 axis gimbal verses Sonys new optical IS minus gimbal stabilsation.      The sony does quite well despite not being on a proper gimbal.

If i owned a Hero5 right now,   I'd turn the EIS off and run without.   It looks like arse.   I'm also not fully decided wether to jump ship to Sony just yet....    tough when we're spoiled for choice!

• Like 1

Solid Faultline!
I could see the new gopro being cool for some other activities in life with the voice control and all that jazz.
But for straight up dirt bike vids and any sport for that matter..think that Sony is where it's at!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Brucie.T said:

Solid Faultline!
I could see the new gopro being cool for some other activities in life with the voice control and all that jazz.
But for straight up dirt bike vids and any sport for that matter..think that Sony is where it's at!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I reckon they're a good thing.    Just need to take the plunge and buy one to see haha ...  Compareable aussie pricing to the Hero5 too : http://www.digidirect.com.au/accessories/action_cam/sony/sony_fdr-x3000_action_camera?gclid=CNi0zurIoc8CFQwkvQodXvUIZw  

Faultline - what are your thoughts on the Gopro Hero 4 Black?

Is the Hero 4 Silver a better unit for taking vids whilst riding?

TrailZ

• Like 1

Hey TRAILZ...    All the GoPros are awesome mate,   but the Hero 4 (black or otherwise) wasn't compelling enough for me to upgrade my H3B...   I still love my H3B and it's been on every single dirtbike with me for the past 4 years.   Buy the best camera you can afford on your budget - can't really go wrong.

It's been a few years now and I'm keen for something new.    $568 for the Sony with OIS,   or $548 for the Hero5 EIS preorder at JBhifi.      Reckon i'd go the Sony but I really want to hear the audio quality.   GoPros have awesome sound,  not sure about the Sonys!

• Like 1

Thanks mate. Trying to keep the budget at a minimum atm got new tyres recently I've looked @ used ones to save a bit of coin lol

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

To you guys that have used GoPro's in the past, can you give me a tip on what settings you guys use as I just got a GoPro 5 and want to start recording recording but would like a head start as there are a heap of different settings for which fps, wide/medium and 4K, 2.7 or 1080

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

To you guys that have used GoPro's in the past, can you give me a tip on what settings you guys use as I just got a GoPro 5 and want to start recording recording but would like a head start as there are a heap of different settings for which fps, wide/medium and 4K, 2.7 or 1080

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1080 & 25fps is perfect for dirbiking without creating huge data files

1 hour ago, Cammo300 said:

I like the higher FPS, gives a few more options when editing IE SlowMo. Only use 4k if you have a 4K big screen TV, and fast PC hardware with lots of storage for editing. 

1080 & 25fps is perfect for dirbiking without creating huge data files