Change Profile to include rider level ?
3 3

23 posts in this topic

I was just read the post grouping ride levels and was going to add something but its closed.

Just a thought everyone has there profile and it has there location would it be possible to add rider level to that and have it visible as is the location ??

Joe blogs

Location - melb 

Lv 1  

something like that as and person can change there level rating whenever they want in there profile settings

• Like 4

What about the people that grade themselves way above their levels ? Don't think it's any different really to now,get what your saying but some people go on level 3 rides that are level 2+ get help and bike ridden up nasty bits and think they are level 3.maybe the real level 3 lead riders need to speak to these guys ! But others might like the idea nothing wrong with ideas :D

• Like 4

Why not gust keep it to L1 and L2 anything above dosnt matter its more for the newbies  ?

I don't think it's necessary, the ride levels are there, there is a good description of what each entails and a supporting video for further reference. I don't see how someone rating their own level and then having the ability to alter it at anytime changes the status quo.
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, ktm shane said:

What about the people that grade themselves way above their levels ? Don't think it's any different really to now,get what your saying but some people go on level 3 rides that are level 2+ get help and bike ridden up nasty bits and think they are level 3.maybe the real level 3 lead riders need to speak to these guys ! But others might like the idea nothing wrong with ideas :D

People putting higher levels then they think they are isnt really much of a reason not to add it, because its no different then someone signing up for a ride that is higher then their level, having a level on the profile would just give everyone a bit of an idea on what each other are, maybe so they know who to ask for tips, who to give tips and who to message and invite for rides. 

I think its would be a great idea! Would give everyone more of an idea on who the more experienced riders are if they want to ask for some advice or talk to someone privately and its kinda good information to know in general, or if someone wants a bit of an idea on who the people are around the forum that are within their level so they can familiarize themselves with each other a bit more?

I dunno but i like the idea! :)

• Like 3

Im just thinking it will help knowing for the few people running beginner rides to know who is who and it will help those as well just something i pick up on, On the the ride talking to people as beginners like to know who's who.

Only trying help the beginners don't have to worry about the upper ride levels as they do there own stuff anyway

• Like 6

I like the idea. It would make it a lot easier for people who have just joined the forum to work out what level rider they are. For instance, I would like to do the Big River Ride that has been posted but I am unsure whether I can tackle a level 4 ride. I think I can, but if I knew what rider level the guys I have ridden with are then it would make it easier for me to determine whether I can go on that level ride. The only other way is to turn up and if you aren't up to scratch then everyone on the ride suffers.

Just my two bobs worth

• Like 2

My thoughts are if your not sure if your are a Level 4 rider. Then good chance your not. Can't use the guys you ride with as a guage for that type of ride. There is plenty of info as to how rider Levels work. Levels are posted at the top of a ride. Big river has plenty of info on how the ride will run.  A true Level 4 rider is ready for this. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Kranky84 said:

if I knew what rider level the guys I have ridden with are then it would make it easier for me to determine whether I can go on that level ride.

You would have ridden with them on a posted L2/3/4 ride - there's your level.

Unless they go for the "yeah, I'm really a L4+ but only ride L3 on the forum" routine haha.

No need to change IMO

• Like 2

Based on this - the only way to work it out is to go on higher level rides until your incapable of the level and stuff everyone else's day when you're not up to scratch. I've ridden 3+ without hassle but I don't know how big the gap is between 3+ and 4. Some of the alleged 3+ riders haven't been too flash IMO (which can be rather annoying - I don't want to do that to others if I'm not up to the posted standard). People post rides in good faith that the people taking them up aren't going to stuff them around.

I like the idea. It would make it a lot easier for people who have just joined the forum to work out what level rider they are. For instance, I would like to do the Big River Ride that has been posted but I am unsure whether I can tackle a level 4 ride. I think I can, but if I knew what rider level the guys I have ridden with are then it would make it easier for me to determine whether I can go on that level ride. The only other way is to turn up and if you aren't up to scratch then everyone on the ride suffers.

Just my two bobs worth

After riding with you a few times i would say you are a level 4 rider for skill and ability level. Fitness wise is the question. If you think you can ride with minimal stops for 5-6 hrs then your a solid level 4. From the two rides i've done with you i think that if you didn't feel like you had been riding for the day then you'll be fine on a level 4 ride. If you felt tired then you need a few more rides under your belt.

• Like 3

I would like to do the Big River Ride that has been posted but I am unsure whether I can tackle a level 4 ride. I think I can, but if I knew what rider level the guys I have ridden with are then it would make it easier for me to determine whether I can go on that level ride. The only other way is to turn up and if you aren't up to scratch then everyone on the ride suffers.

Just my two bobs worth

I would expect a L4 rider to be happy to do 100km of tight stuff and smash every single hill and obstacle without assistance on a L3 ride . If your used to going on a L3 or L3+ ride and getting a little restless at the breaks as you want to keep on moving and its all just a walk in the park, you didn't drop your bike once and you go home feeling like you'd be happy to ride a bit more and overtook a heap of riders throughout the day and constantly ended up sitting on corners . Your a L4 rider. Without doubt.
  • Like 1

This will ALWAYS be a bit vague, I, depending on the ride spend the first hour getting over arm pump. Then ride for an hour or two at approx level 3. From this point onwards my riding ability generally goes south. Therefore l grade myself as a level 2+ rider as that is my average. As dirtriderz l think the main objective on all rides is to have fun, the only time it is not fun is when someone is WAY out of their ability or their bike preparation is poor. So if your that serious about your rides - GO RACING and you will have a blast as l did many years ago.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, cluffie said:

After riding with you a few times i would say you are a level 4 rider for skill and ability level. Fitness wise is the question. If you think you can ride with minimal stops for 5-6 hrs then your a solid level 4. From the two rides i've done with you i think that if you didn't feel like you had been riding for the day then you'll be fine on a level 4 ride. If you felt tired then you need a few more rides under your belt.

And this is where its at. You start off on a couple of lower level rides.

Your riding buddies will be the first to tell you your shit or your a gun.

No guessing needed

Kranky84. By the sounds of it you are more than comfortable on the 3+. You should def give Big River  a go.

Berg said he can direct back to the cars if you are struggling.....But somehow I think you will be fine.

• Like 1

what makes people think that the person organizing the ride has any greater idea of ride level than the ones who are keen to tag along?

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses guys much appreciated. I asked a couple of the guys on the pre GF ride what level they thought they were, some avoided answering and the others were very modest in their responses. I think most people don't want to be considered as boasting if they feel they are in the higher levels??  I still think there is merit to the idea.

IMO if you don't know the ride level then you shouldn't be posting rides. I will be happy to post a Springhill and a Drummond ride once I have a good understanding of my level so that I can gauge the level of the ride.

• Like 4

To give you a idea kranky, I would rate Friday's ride a lvl 2+ in pace and a lvl 2+ to lvl 3 in tarrian mainly because of the wet conditions.
Hope that helps a little mate.
I'm happy to be correct?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gypsy501 said:

To give you a idea kranky, I would rate Friday's ride a lvl 2+ in pace and a lvl 2+ to lvl 3 in tarrian mainly because of the wet conditions.
Hope that helps a little mate.
I'm happy to be correct?

ride grading threads, like "what bike threads" or "2 t v 4t" threads are always going to have so many grey areas and differing opinions!

I'm a firm believer that a ride should (must) be graded based on the hardest part of a ride...... based on that, my opinion of Friday's ride would differ from Gypsy's in that I wouldn't think that level 2 could be associated with that particular ride in any way, especially in those conditions.

To Elaborate:

* In completely dry conditions I could maybe see the same loop posted as a 2+. I think in completely dry conditions the bulk of the trails fit within realm of level 2, the "+" being the number of logs (and size of some) along with 3 or 4 hills that had riders requiring assistance

* In normal winter (wetish) conditions I would think the same loop would be a level 3 (nothing less) - even without the insanely wet conditions from Friday that 1 hill in particular (where Toys had his off) is most likely going to take several attempts by a fair portion of genuine level 3 riders 

* When setting out to do that loop during or following a wet period I think it would be best posted as 3+ - I think personally, its fair to say that there were several riders there on Friday that are comfortable level 4 and above riders and i think most would have been challenged at some point

* now, if someone is wanting to run that same loop, at any time, in any weather, with next to no stops at a quick pace with no waiting to support at the hills etc, then its level 4........ 

thats my 2 cents worth anyway - like Gypsy before me, I'm happy to be corrected!!

I'd be curious about Cluffie's thoughts as he stands out to me as the member that has at least tried to organise the most level 4 rides!

• Like 12

I too am a believer that a ride/terrain should be graded on the hardest bit of trk. If there is one level 3 hill then the whole ride has to be graded level 3.(At least, the terrain side of the ride) If you don't want to have to grade it as level 3. Then that hill has to be left out of the loop. Or made optional.

No one would grade a ride as level 1, if planning on climbing some goat trks, Just because fire trail is the majority.

I think as we get better at riding. Its easy to forget just how difficult the terrain is on level 2 riders.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Hummdinger said:

what makes people think that the person organizing the ride has any greater idea of ride level than the ones who are keen to tag along?

true words.

On 23/08/2016 at 7:02 AM, damige said:

I was just read the post grouping ride levels and was going to add something but its closed.

Just a thought everyone has there profile and it has there location would it be possible to add rider level to that and have it visible as is the location ??

Joe blogs

Location - melb 

Lv 1  

something like that as and person can change there level rating whenever they want in there profile settings

not sure how that would work?

• Like 4