Ogio flight vest
3 3

48 posts in this topic

Blackers    70

Hey all, does anyone use the ogio flight vest and are they any good? Looking at ways to distribute the weight more evenly. my backpack which holds my hydration bladder and all my tools etc in it can be quite heavy and ofter pulls back on my shoulders.. I've had back injuries before so i'm Just looking for viable ways to distribute all that weight much easier..

Cheers guys and gals

d26f6a77245ec583f0e8ee6430a46ad1.jpg

ktm shane    1,384

I have used one for 6 months now and love it,packs heaps of tools and I squeeze in. 3 litre bladder for the real,hot days and once it's on don't feel it at all.i was worried about the heat factor as I get hot quite easy but it's surprisingly good 

Blackers    70

Thanks Ktm shane, i use leatt 5.5 body armour which is a little baulky. Is the vest gonna make me the michelin man?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cujo    2,213

Ive been using one for a year and a half.

One zip has failed in that time....but that pocket is stil usable for my trail snacks.

I dont use it in summer as It gets too hot.

Great for weight distribution

Its not water proof so you need to use resealable plastic bags for most things that you put in it.

The hydration pack is a 2 litre bag and has a good quality mouth piece and has proved to be quite strong, surviving the many tumbles I've had.

The pocket behind the hydration bag becomes limited when the unit is full of water. I use this pocket to hold a thin items such as space blanket, disposable poncho, spare sprocket.

Overall a good unit for what you after.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2t4me    4,157

Thanks Ktm shane, i use leatt 5.5 body armour which is a little baulky. Is the vest gonna make me the michelin man?

i've been wearing one since April last year and love it - havent had any failures with zips etc and i dont find it too hot. Can comfortably fit a gatorade bottle full of fuel in each side pocket (can fit my 1 litre aluminum bottles but not comfortable when in).

Love the weight distribution

Love the pocket towards the top on the right side front - perfect for my phone (in a lifeproof case) - easy to get to and i can hear it whilt riding if it rings!

For my last 2 rides i've been wearing it with a new leatt 5.5 body protector pressure suit - it is bulkier and ive had to let the straps out a fraction but a) im a fat prick so always look like a michellin man and B) its not an issue or uncomfortable at all....

Cheers

typed on my phone - hence the mistakes!

FullySick    2,468

another option is to have one person carry firstaid, another some tools etc May slow a ride though if someone has to wait for tools to come back

• Like 1

MrNoodle    6,758

Yep another who loves his flight vest. Most people know I carry too many things and it is still very heavy but the way it distributes weight is amazing. I tell people to try mine on and they are instantly surprised.  It really does distribute the weight. The best example I can describe (partly cause once upon a time I carried more kgs than I currently do) is if you are carrying to many kg's/overweight, you dont know any different to carrying 10kg's less, this is how the bag hides its weight. I haven't noticed being to hot in it. I now have Leatt 5.5 but haven't ridden enough to with it to comment to much with the too as too many commitments/problems/illness's/bike problems at the moment. I also run the 3lt bladder out of my camelbak instead of the 2lt one which comes with the flight vest and it fits perfectly.  No problems with my flight vest and I also love the same pocket dusty mentioned for my phone and using it to gps navigate or snap photos quickly

• Like 2

Geoffyboy    4,834

I've used one for a few years. Lately though the straps are let right out. My body shape has changed...lol

But still wouldn't go back to backpack.

I also have the 3 liter blader in it for warmer and longer rides.

I think mines close to 3 years old and the zips are all working well. I use a little drylube on them.to keep them smooth.

• Like 1

Blackers    70

Thanks heaps guys, i just bought the last one at peter stevens in geelong.. Might try it out wednesday if i get my bike back from mototech by then

• Like 2

Ausberg    360

I used one for about a year and yes they distribute the weight really well and are comfortable to wear.

The problem I felt with the flight vest was it being a bit congestive around the front (chest area) especially in hot weather.

Found that when I had to work hard on the bike it didn't allow for good air flow on the chest area, I also wear Dainese body armour underneath so maybe that adds to it.

Went back to a bum bag and brought a Kriega (R25) back pack with three litre bladder and love it.

Don't even know I'm wearing it when its on, sits real well doesn't move around and seems to distribute the weight really well.

I would comment that the flight vest is great in winter and cooler days, helps keep the wind/rain of you and distributes weight fantastically and no bum bag, but in summer on hot days wasn't keen on it. If your looking at one I'd also look at the Kriega gear its on the dearer side but great stuff.

• Like 1

Gypsy501    2,794

Yep I'm a +1 with it being to hot for me, Iv gone the back pack & bum bag combo now to distribute weight and that works good for me.

2t4me    4,157

Im surprised at the comments with them being too hot and going back to back pucks due to that... i rode a lot over the summer just gone and didnt have an issue - maybe its an advantage of being overweight - theres more of a gap at the front!!

Seriously though, if you are wearing it over armour most of where it sites is going to be in front of either chest plates or kidney belt straps anyway??

• Like 1

FullySick    2,468
Im surprised at the comments with them being too hot and going back to back pucks due to that... i rode a lot over the summer just gone and didnt have an issue - maybe its an advantage of being overweight - theres more of a gap at the front!!

Ha haa a breeze coming up from the waistal area :)

Ausberg    360

Seriously though, if you are wearing it over armour most of where it sites is going to be in front of either chest plates or kidney belt straps anyway??

I'm not a big build and with it on there's no gap at the front, so it felt very congestive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Laurie    18

Been using mine for about 6 months now and had 1 zip fail. Haven't had the opportunity to use it in warmer weather. Considering maybe going back to a camelback and maybe a bumbag as its all out of the way and no bulk around the front and the water bladder design shits me. It's a zip lock with a  slide on clamp instead of a screw cap which is always a pain to do up, especially when everyone is ready to go and you forgot to fill up with water. 

2t4me    4,157

Toucheood i've not yet had any zip failures... allthough a couple are getting a bit tight so i think after this weeks ride i'll empty it completly and put it throught he washing machine then give all the zippers a good dose of silicone spray!....

Re the bladder - i hated the bladder for the same reason you said Laurie but i did like the mouth piece so i swapped the hose onto my camelback bladder and just use that!

cluffie    5,759

Use your camelback bladder. I just put my 3ltr bladder in the back and don't even worry about clipping it in,works fine.
Zips are poor quality and the mud from winter riding stuffs them. The front 2 lower zips are the ones that go. You have to clean them well and lube them regulary or they will stuff up, guaranteed.
Back ones are fine. I'm on my second one and the first one is perfect apart from these zips. Its a pity really,otherwise a perfect product.

Geoffyboy    4,834

Zips on mine have never stuffed up.
I've had mine for many many years. Covered in mud and all sorts of crap.

Had a couple gets a little stiff. Gave it a hosing and rubbed some dry lube on them. Probably done that twice in 5 years.

I have noticed the straps seem to have gotten shorter over that time though....

• Like 2