New bike
3 3

47 posts in this topic

Hey all, I'm after a bit of advice in relation to a new bike. I'm a girl, about 5'3" and 65 kgs. I'm thinking about getting a ktm 350 exc-f. I currently ride a 250 freeride. I'm just after some bike suggestions and whether I'm on the right path.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

What sort of riding are you doing?

Also what's wrong with the 250 freeride??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a 500 Ange!

So, I'm about 5'6", maybe 5'7" and I find touching the ground is an issue at times.

350excf is awesome. Maybe a lower seat & or suspension?

Prob a bit heavier than a freeride also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ange said:

Hey all, I'm after a bit of advice in relation to a new bike. I'm a girl, about 5'3" and 65 kgs. I'm thinking about getting a ktm 350 exc-f. I currently ride a 250 freeride. I'm just after some bike suggestions and whether I'm on the right path.

Is the 250 freeride limiting your abilities or you just want to try something different? As also above, what terrain do you ride? I'm about 5'11'' and I am on a Berg 350 with a low seat and it is still pretty tall but perfect for me. I have seen a few people start out on 350's and I have seen good riders race them. They are a true all rounder

• Like 1

Get a 500 Ange!

So, I'm about 5'6", maybe 5'7" and I find touching the ground is an issue at times.

350excf is awesome. Maybe a lower seat & or suspension?

Prob a bit heavier than a freeride also.

Would love a 500 but that thing would kill me!! Yep Boltons is onto it, they reckon they can lower it a fair bit so that'd be sweet. Just a bit worried about the power of the 350 compared to the 250.

The freeride is limiting my abilities, hence the need for a new one. I love that bike but it just doesn't have the power to have a crack at a motocross track. I mainly ride enduro, ie Myrtleford rally etc but I also want to be able to race mx.

Dunno about the new model, but the current model is extremely linear and predictable power delivery.

If you want it to really move, just rev the crap out of it.

They mentioned traction control on the 2017 b six days. Is that worth waiting for??

What about the 250xcf if your doing track & bush that's something in between, it has the suspension for the motorcross track & you can rec reg it and has a larger tank to do the rallys and the 250xcf engine will have more then enough punch for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Yz fx250 or ktm xcf 250 for doing both. They have electric start also,great fuel range and a stand which is handy compared a full mxer.

You can't race motocross on a 350 exc or any exc/adr'd enduro type bike. They are terrible on a track and you will end up getting hurt. The suspension is far to soft for jumping with no real bottoming resistance if you don't get the jumps spot on. A leisurely few laps is ok but definately not if your racing.

350xcf is also a great bike but it would be overkill,far to powerful and not needed.

• Like 4

What cluffie said, the yx250fx would be ideal.

It is no coincidence that the top lady enduro riders are mounted on this beast? 

• Like 1

I love my yz250fx, it is very tall though. Something to consider being shorter then average. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, the drama we have is it needs to be able to be road registered which most of the hybrids can't be. We want to be able to ride anywhere in Aus, ie Fraser Island etc.

Yz fx250 or ktm xcf 250 for doing both. They have electric start also,great fuel range and a stand which is handy compared a full mxer.

You can't race motocross on a 350 exc or any exc/adr'd enduro type bike. They are terrible on a track and you will end up getting hurt. The suspension is far to soft for jumping with no real bottoming resistance if you don't get the jumps spot on. A leisurely few laps is ok but definately not if your racing.

350xcf is also a great bike but it would be overkill,far to powerful and not needed.

Thanks Cluffie, that'd exactly what we looked at but just the road reg was out. Otherwise either of them would be perfect!!

Soon to be a 350 EXC-F

• Like 2

Reckon I'll get the 350. From all accounts (the shop) it's easier to ride anyway. I'm not a good rider but I'm not buying another bike (this will be no.5)!that's not right!

Soon to be a 350 EXC-F

• Like 1

make sure you test ride the 250 exc as well as the 350 also. i think you will be surprised how well they go and handle and it is a little bit lighter which helps more then you think. the 350 will push in corners a bit more then the 250. As the weight is quite higher then your freeride the less weight will make it easier to hold up in technical terrain and the 350 is heavy to lift from the ground on a slippery hill.

also remember that the fe husky is basically the same bike so you may get a better deal on these compared to the kato.

• Like 2

make sure you test ride the 250 exc as well as the 350 also. i think you will be surprised how well they go and handle and it is a little bit lighter which helps more then you think. the 350 will push in corners a bit more then the 250. As the weight is quite higher then your freeride the less weight will make it easier to hold up in technical terrain and the 350 is heavy to lift from the ground on a slippery hill.

also remember that the fe husky is basically the same bike so you may get a better deal on these compared to the kato.

Will definitely do that, don't want to buy something unsuitable. We have looked at the Huskies but not too much price difference and I'm more than happy to buy from Boltons, they've been great to deal with!

Soon to be a 350 EXC-F

Sounds like your sold on the 350 already? Keep an open mind and buy what is right for you. Boltons will let you take the two bikes out.

Glen at moto gc is a forum sponsor and will probably do test rides. He will also look after you.

Sounds like your sold on the 350 already? Keep an open mind and buy what is right for you. Boltons will let you take the two bikes out.

Glen at moto gc is a forum sponsor and will probably do test rides. He will also look after you.

I am a bit sold on it but I'm pretty impetuous!! I appreciate the advice and I will def ride both of them before I decide!!

• Like 1

Have you thought about a Sherco 300i ? i'm about 5'5"  5'6" & find it great

Yep did look at them and they look like rippers but I find it hard to go past a kato!!

• Like 2

No brainer Ange. Either the KTM 250 excf or Husky FE250.  (16 Husky would be my pick) Both will be perfect for you. Lowered seat and your ready to go. The 350 will be 10 - 15kgs heavier than your current bike, and would be a bit to heavy in my opinion.  The 250 will do everything the 350 can and will be lighter, you will be able to ride it faster for longer. Speak to Glen at Motogc he should give you a test ride on the FE250 and you wont look back.

• Like 2

Ange I have Husky 250FE for last 2 years and love it, never needed more power as the new modern 250`s have plenty.

Also had KTM350 before I bought the 250 but feel more comfortable on a 250, make sure you test ride both the 350 and 250 then decide.

If I had to choose again would still go for 250 :P.

• Like 3