6 6

Honda Fatcat

The only person known to have one of the rare 'cats is RED1. But he's factory Honda and I aint a monkies asshole so I dont have the connections he has. I am red to the back teeth. Honda this and Honda that (as some of you have figured out...) So I figured I needed to get one. They were only made for 2 years!! Can you imagine a bike today being made for only 2 model runs? The cost must have been horrendous.

Since seeing RED1's cat I thought why not get one myself. So a little while ago I go I had a friend in California find me one and just now the cat is is on the big boat sailing for Australia. (FATCATS were a US only bike in the 80s) Cost me sfa = $1400 aussie, so really a steal. They were sold in the US with enormous racks (not that you injest...) so it's be great for side swiping errant MVs who try to cut me off in Melbourne traffic...

When "Le Cat" arrives I intend to get it road registered. It's got electric start and already has low seat height hi and low beam etc.

Here's some pics of my cat at the port of LA in longbeach:

1446-08.jpg

1446-06.jpg

Rear view of the cat:

1446-05.jpg

1446-07.jpg

So in my effort to get it registered I need to get some brake lights hooked up.

Now I have a shed load of Honda parts in the farm shed atm. Red1 would a XR600R ADR rear light setup work on the Cat?

How could I set up a rear and front brake light switch system using Honda oem parts do you think?

I'll bolt on the XR600R turn signals I have already. All I'll then need is the switch and wiring.

Aprillia 550 is a bike they made for 2 runs Yamaha's TRX 850 were the same and do KTM still make the 505 or do they just not bring them into the country?

On the other side of the coin look at the Royal Enfield been the same bike for the last 50 years now thats a good run for a model.

I bet your gonna have some fun on the fatcat

The rear brake light switch off an XR would be the go its just a sliding contact switch with a spring that goes onto the rear brake pedal. And I recon the front brake perch would have the hole in it for the front brake light switch too if not a front brake pertch of a XL or old XR 250/350 would have being drum brake front end.

You may have to rake the rear rack off to get over the pits and put on the big old XR tail light with number plate holder and number plate light to get her over the pits then swap back to the slimline it has on already.

Would be great to see her on the road a mate has a Z50 old girl with the complience plate on it but its never seen the bitumen well leagaly anyway.

Thanks Arrow!!!

What I like about the cat is the electric start and super low seat height.

Im familiar with the electro-mechanical rear bl switches but how to the front ones work? When was the last front drum Honda bike with such a switch?

Im thinking I'll get a XR650L lhs switch for the bars to turn on the indicators and so forth.

Basically if I use genuine HOnda parts that are on a road legal bike already then I'm home and hosed afa rego goes.

Mirrors - just use Honda XR ones

Turn signals - ditto

F&R brake light - use parts off any other Honda

Chainguard - already has one

High and low beam - already has

Neutral indicator - already has

Speedo - I'll need to rig up a digital speedo I think. Can I use a GPS as a speedo?

Red1 - I need a new battery. Which Yuasa bat do I buy for the cat?

hmmm im thinking the last ones with a drum brake and brake light for the front would be a old XR 250/350 or an XL. Im not too familular with the honda range how you are with the red models i am with the blue ones. Maybe a front brake off a TT 250/350 would work too? The front brake actuator switch is the same deal as the rear ones it just uses a plunger and rod that stick out and are depressed by the returnng front brake lever rather than being pulled down by the spring on the rear one. (if that makes sense) I know MCS the after market mob not the steering dampners made the brake light switches as an after market option.

Im not sure on the ADR requierments od the speedo byt im thnking youd need a high beam indicator light and a indivator light on the dash also for rego. I know mcs did speedos too I know they did a dt/xt model one and im sure they would have done a XR style one too (I think ballards had it pictured in their old dogalogues)

Red will know more and what models part numbers and DNA codes the genny honda ones had.

You could wire up a LHS off a xr or CRF for your lights and use a RHS off a KTM for the leggy start maybe to keep it tidy. All rego bikes had the leccy start button and kill switch on the RH switch block as the horn is on the LH.

MAybe have a talk to a wrecker too and see what perches/switch blocks they have kicking around too.

I might have to look for a yammy TW 200 and well go fat wheel rollin

Will you be able to get full reg on an imported bike like this???

If the bike model never had a compliance plate when released in Aus you will be pushing poo up you know where !

I'd be thinking rec reg will be the go.

It's a Pre 1989 model bike.

Therefore I can get it engineered - no compliance plate technically necessary from memory

mabye 65-70?

might play around with the gearing and get that 10 horsepower it makes working harder...

will look uber cool round streets of melb

roll over a curb like it aint there!!!

I also wondered what the go was with it not being ADR plated and getting full road reg.

Here's some Vic Roads imported vehicle registration info for anyone interested.

Scroll down and there is a table to look at. With regards to pre 1989 vehicles, check out the bottom row.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/NewToVictoria/ImportedVehicleRegistration.htm

If you're wondering what a VASS certificate is, here is another link >>> http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/WhatHasToBeRegistered/OtherVehiclesBoatsAndRegistrationIssues/VehicleAssessmentSignatoryScheme.htm

I hope you get it registered easily enough. Looks fun. I'd have a ride if it was offered to me for sure.

Edited by Hoobz904

I also wondered what the go was with it not being ADR plated and getting full road reg.

Here's some Vic Roads imported vehicle registration info for anyone interested.

Scroll down and there is a table to look at. With regards to pre 1989 vehicles, check out the bottom row.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/NewToVictoria/ImportedVehicleRegistration.htm

If you're wondering what a VASS certificate is, here is another link >>> http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/WhatHasToBeRegistered/OtherVehiclesBoatsAndRegistrationIssues/VehicleAssessmentSignatoryScheme.htm

I hope you get it registered easily enough. Looks fun. I'd have a ride if it was offered to me for sure.

Hey Hoobinator

Yeah I already have a VASS guy lined up - spoken to him already he saod should be fine.

The thing with pre 89 model bikes is no compliance is required. The guy I spoke to said it might cost me $400 to get it certificated so me thinks that's cheap for the funtimes.

I can imagine it at gembrook in the mud - man it would just tractor up hills !!!!

The tyres are like 8inches wide!!!

Brilliant. I couldn't believe how many VASS inspectors there are around Vic in one of those links.

Can't wait to see pics of you amongst everyone else. Especially going places everyone else can't go.

You're gunna have a ball on that.

Full reg on that baby would be hilarious.

I agree it will be a riot.

I cant wait to ride it down collins street or the like.

imagine the thing in mud!!!

first gear - bbbbbbbrrrrrrrrappppp - tractor up she goes

I agree it will be a riot.

I cant wait to ride it down collins street or the like.

imagine the thing in mud!!!

first gear - bbbbbbbrrrrrrrrappppp - tractor up she goes

sounds fun

when will it be ready to ride?

Righto

The ftacart is on the boat and sailing

I had an agument with the dum **** australian govt depart over the wrong VIA

Got the form reissued and now can register my 'cat!!!

cant wait to ride it down collins strett then up to Hulls office where i piss on his face - scum

The cat is in New Zealand

Pretty fast trip when you think about the distances.

7th August the cat arrives in Melbourne.

Pretty painless import in all honesty.

Don't count your chickens mate, there's a lot between it landing and having it in your hot little hand.

Here's hoping for a painless customs clearance.