TRAILZ

Barkbuster or hand guards

Hi all,

Does anyone have any feedback on whether to use wrap around barkbusters or hand guards?

I've been advised wrap around jet barkbusters are better than handguards...

Currently my ride has standard plastic handguard

Depends if you like to replace levers or break wrists I guess. The danger of bark busters is you can get caught up in them when you fall off . The danger of handgurds ( non wrap around) is you replace a few levers every now and then. I've got bark busters on my berg and broke my thumb . ( I don't know how exactly I broke it as it all happened so fast.. It nah of had nothing to do with the bark busters). I always put them as low as possible and still provide a bit of hand and lever protection to help prevent getting caught up in them as I don't want broken wrists! On my wr I have hand guards. I prefer the hand guards and for the number of levers I go through I don't mind. 2 in 2 years and a mate broke one ! If you loosen of the lever perches slightly the levers just spin on handle bars when you crash anyway and that often is enough to prevent the lever breaking.

• Like 2

Wrap arounds in my opinion....

My understanding is your reasonably new (apologies if incorrect) which means your bars are going to meet the ground and trees etc quite regularly - the wrap arounds will provide far more protection for both your levers, and more importantly your hands then gaurds will.

The guards are really only roost gaurds...

The only problem you will hear with the wrap around - and its rare - is that if going over the bars people have been known to break one or both wrists due to their hands getting caught behind them... but i would guess that for every case of that occuring there would be 100 cases of somones hands/fingers being saved by them!

• Like 6

I guess it depends on whether you ride into trees or not! Bark busters are great when you hit a tree trunk with your bars! The hand guard are also sometimes called brush guards as they deflect brush from whipping your hands.

But yeah 2t is correct. Bark busters would be better for you.
  • Like 2

Lol - good point Pete!

I never intend on clipping trees but the really good trails tend to have trees really really close to the edges of them - sometimes on both sides of the track!

• Like 1

Barkbusters evo for me I prefer. I am currently running barkbuster jet but I dont like them as much as the evo. The metal wrap around bits on the jet seem to stick out at a more straight angle then on the evo so when bouncing off of trees (or using them to balance through tighter stuff) the bike doesn't deflect as smoothly. Must get around to replacing the plastics on them one day and I'll put them back on. Also all the other reasons for using wrap around style guards and I crash a lot!

• Like 2

Agreed - i ran jetts on my last bike and have ego on this one and orefer the egos

(But i would pick the jetts over gaurds!)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, 2t4me said:

Wrap arounds in my opinion....

My understanding is your reasonably new (apologies if incorrect) which means your bars are going to meet the ground and trees etc quite regularly - the wrap arounds will provide far more protection for both your levers, and more importantly your hands then gaurds will.

The guards are really only roost gaurds...

The only problem you will hear with the wrap around - and its rare - is that if going over the bars people have been known to break one or both wrists due to their hands getting caught behind them... but i would guess that for every case of that occuring there would be 100 cases of somones hands/fingers being saved by them!

Yes 2t4me I am new to the trails. And the thought of breaking a wrist does far outway replacing a lever. At the moment my speed is slow so getting thrown off the bike would be tough... the furthest I'd be thrown is on the tank haha

I'm still torn on my decision...

• Like 1

Yes 2t4me I am new to the trails. And the thought of breaking a wrist does far outway replacing a lever. At the moment my speed is slow so getting thrown off the bike would be tough... the furthest I'd be thrown is on the tank haha

I'm still torn on my decision...

I hope you carry a lot of spare levers in your back pack then.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gypsy501 said:

I hope you carry a lot of spare levers in your back pack then.emoji1.png

To counteract my falls to come are there levers that can be used that are unbreakable?

To counteract my falls to come are there levers that can be used that are unbreakable?

There are mate , but there not going to save your fingers.

• Like 2

bark busters for the bush.

Hand guards for the mx trk.

It's a no brainer

This is a very good post by a wise OLD man!!

(Hi cruiser!)

• Like 4

Geday 2t4me.

I used to ride with a bloke that only ever bought hand guards.

According to him.........They looked nicer on his bike..........But didn't save his fingers on one ride in particular.

I have hit enough trees and pushed enough saplings out of the way with the bark busters to not bother with a couple of bits of plastic flapping in the breeze in front of my fingers.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, 2t4me said:

Agreed - i ran jetts on my last bike and have ego on this one and orefer the egos

(But i would pick the jetts over gaurds!)

I've seen both the ego and jet barkbusters and noticed the ego plastics sit a lot higher than the jet plastic that are slimmer.. I'm thinking with plastics sitting higher the chances of getting hand caught would be greater if i was to be flipped up and over the bars...

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Gypsy501 said:

There are mate , but there not going to save your fingers.

Which levers do you recommend mate? I've got my eye on the rhk mx quantum flex brake clutch lever set atm...

In all honesty Trailz - i only mentioned that cos i though someone will pipe up with it so id beat them to it - the chances of it are exceptionally remote..... the odds of you crushing your fingers without them would be 100's higher....

You'll find that there will always be a doom story with any equipment - heres a couple i've heard over the years:

Neck braces - will make it more likely to break a collar bone (personally id take the collar bone over a broken neck!)

Knee Braces - because your knee cant twist your whole leg will rotate and fark your hip up (have heard the story but NEVER heard of anyone actually doing it!)

Buy either a set of Jets or ego's (or similar) - they'll stop you from crushing your fingers and offer much better protection for your levers... be aware though, you should still carry spare levers as it is still possible to brake them with both Jetts and egos (ive broken clutch levers and bent a brake lever with both fitted!)

As for the wrists - ive been over the bars a few times and witnessed many others with no breakages.... at the end of the day though its a dangerous sport and injuries can and do happen!

• Like 7

Also... a tip for you if you havent already heard it, remove both your brake and clutch perches and wrap a couple rounds of teflon plumbers tap around the bars where the perch goes. Then refit the perches but dont do them up tight, you want them to stay in position when ruding but be loose enough that you can grab them and rotate them a bit - its so that when your bars hit the ground the perch can rotate a little as opposed to breaking the perch!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, 2t4me said:

Also... a tip for you if you havent already heard it, remove both your brake and clutch perches and wrap a couple rounds of teflon plumbers tap around the bars where the perch goes. Then refit the perches but dont do them up tight, you want them to stay in position when ruding but be loose enough that you can grab them and rotate them a bit - its so that when your bars hit the ground the perch can rotate a little as opposed to breaking the perch!

That's a great tip mate apart from all the others you've mentioned. I'm gonna have to put some coin away for barkbusters me thinks...

• Like 2

That's a great tip mate apart from all the others you've mentioned. I'm gonna have to put some coin away for barkbusters me thinks...

Bark busters $130

Unbreakable leavers $200

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Gypsy501 said:

Bark busters $130

Unbreakable leavers $200

12 minutes ago, Gypsy501 said:

Bark busters $130

Unbreakable leavers $200

Point taken mate. Thanks

• Like 1

Can I also add that when you're on that steep learning curve and continually challenging yourself with both terrain and pace, you will drop your bike more often. 

This will increase the chance of damage to levers and where the barkbusters come into their own. 

From experience with my son, can I also add that unbreakable levers aren't indestructale!

• Like 4