PeteV

Rear tyre for the sand

My valentines card had 2 pineapples in it for a new a rear tyre. So what can I buy that I can I use in the sand and hopefully this winter ? Front has a x30 battlecross on it that's still ok. Do I pull out an oldie that's no good for winter but useable then get a s12,x30 or Dunlop for winter.

Or do I buy a savage maybe for summer use and sand?

In hoping to have a new one on for the desert trip and that should do me for a bit of winter. I have done a couple of desert trips and the tyre doesn't wear much even with 400 odd k's over a weekend. I'm just going to run whatever I normally would. Think I've had a mx 31 on my crf once and a m404 as well

• Like 1

Mx 31 120/90/18 or the new replacement of the mx32 ( 19 inch only ) which is called a ms3 ( i think ) which is going to be available in 18 inch. Don't know when in aus but are in the usa now.

Great in sand and winter mud.

• Like 1

dunlop 120/90/18 d952 i been running on my WR been great in the sand done close to 3000 km 

also run bridgestone mx 602 but bib no sand riding with it 

if sand is wet i will be ok if powder dry need new dunlop 

2016-02-15 19.38.30.jpg

2016-02-15 19.38.47.jpg

2016-02-02 17.36.19.jpg

2016-02-02 17.36.27.jpg

• Like 1

Save you $ and tyres for slippery hills in the Otways or Wombat.  Any old knobby will do in the Big Desert - there are no hills.  The sand even when dry holds the weight of the bike well and if wet, traction gets even better.  Been riding there for decades including Arbos excellent rides.  On the other hand a steering stabilizer ..............

• Like 3

I have very little sand experience but figured anything with at least half knob will do ! I'll go see what beholds in thy sheds

Save you $ and tyres for slippery hills in the Otways or Wombat.  Any old knobby will do in the Big Desert - there are no hills.  The sand even when dry holds the weight of the bike well and if wet, traction gets even better.  Been riding there for decades including Arbos excellent rides.  On the other hand a steering stabilizer ..............

I might need something a bit better to climb the dunes at Beachport though?

• Like 1

Definitely hard pack sections up there. I doubt the paddle would be smooth and comfortable on those.....

• Like 1

I've got the Starcross sand front and rear. I used it at Golden Beach 6 hour and it was awesome! Took it straight off and will only for it when I ride in proper sand.

I learnt to ride just a little south of big desert. Have done it on everything from 50cc, the trusty xl185 farm bike and tyre combo too yz250 2 and 4 stroke /450 4 stroke and soft terrain tyres. 

What i love most about riding up there (and sand in general) is flying into corners, diving on the brakes at the last minute and squaring off the corner by bouncing of the rut and giving it a trench digging fist full.

The better matched rear tyre the more fun it is. Too much tyre on a 250f will require limmiter bashing. Farm tyre on farm bike = perfect. Too little tyre on powerfull bike makes it feel really slow and nervous. 

Whilst it doesnt matter that much, you will have more fun on a new s12/x20/mx31 etc. Even a new intermediate would be alright for a once off. 

Drop your forks level with the tripples, stay on the gas and pick your spots to slow down once your going to quick. 

• Like 2

All I have ever run up there is pretty much any Intermediate tyre that still has a reasonable amount of tread left.

Dunlop 952 / MX51, Bridgy M404, and if the Michy X30 rear still looks half decent after the 2-day High Country ride in 2 weeks, it will probably get a run as well.

• Like 2

two pineapples in a card for tyres. your wife loves you that much Pete she wants to make sure you are out of the house riding all day instead of being at home i think.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2016 at 6:19 PM, PeteV said:

Savage might be ok for the sand...but I've tried two different types and won't buy another.  Here's a pic of someone else's after 40 km in the high country:

P1010679.JPG

• Like 2

two pineapples in a card for tyres. your wife loves you that much Pete she wants to make sure you are out of the house riding all day instead of being at home i think.

Can't blame her for that! I ride to get away from myself as well!

Therapy at its finest!

Savage might be ok for the sand...but I've tried two different types and won't buy another.  Here's a pic of someone else's after 40 km in the high country:

P1010679.thumb.JPG.0d3b0f24a431eceea60f8f6ac81fec39.JPG

Savage never did fare well against rocks. I'm leaning toward a Michelan s12 or a Dunlop mx31

Savage might be ok for the sand...but I've tried two different types and won't buy another.  Here's a pic of someone else's after 40 km in the high country:P1010679.thumb.JPG.0d3b0f24a431eceea60f8f6ac81fec39.JPG

Savage never did fare well against rocks. I'm leaning toward a Michelan s12 or a Dunlop mx31

Mitchy or Dunlop haven't tried mitchy yet but will get one before Easter I think

• Like 1