dazzrmx

BIGGIES Dissa

Thankyou BIGGIE for organising another ride and leading, Tim? for leading later and showing us some new trails and Arbo for sweeping and copping lots of dust. 

On the bikes at 8.30 and started with some track exploring and then up through Hamburger and the usual rocky loose hill climbs which was handled well by all, then a bit of open. With temps rising headed back too cars at 1ish.  

This was my 2nd ride back after 4 months off and struggled more than usual with fittness and general feel but an improvement over 1st ride back.

Great to catch up with some I had ridden with before and always good to see new faces.  

Thankyou all

• Like 7

Big thanks to BIGGIE, Tim and Arbo, great fun , looking forward to the next one :)

Big thanks to Arbo for sweeping the whole day and Jimbo for helping me lead and showing me some new s/t and taking over when my exploring was getting the better of me :D We need to go to dissa together and put together a good level 3 loop!

Here's my day - started with getting to the unload spot nice and early, few dirtriderz already there with dusty and his group gearing up. Before long 0830 came around, quick chat to the group and into some s/t. First track ive never ridden but been wanting to for quite a while. The descent starts, very rutted but not too steep so keep it moving, get to the bottom, turn a corner and DAMN! Steep rocky climb with very deep ruts, back to 1st and slipping the clutch, manage to get to the top unassited and decided to wait to make sure the rest of the group gets through, all get up no worries (much to my surprise as it was a technical and challenging climb). One rider has left his backpack at the cars so I find my way back through some nice and flowing s/t. Backpackin hand and we head to andersons through a new s/t which was super flowing and nice.

Get through andersons and up the small hill to find the grassy paddocks have been blocked. Hundreds of star pickets have been smashed to the ground behind some big logs. Absolutley deadly if you ask me and i think something should be done about this.

We find a way around through some s/t and up hamburger hill. Much looser than normal but again the whole group smashed it. Big rocky hill follows and again looser than normal and I think a couple of riders may have found this challenging. Down a very long s/t into the creek and back into more s/t. Quick break and I get jimbo to take over for a bit and we find some new open stuff and back to andersons. 

Again Jimbo leads from here to find ladder track and a few more s/t back to the cars. Couple of riders still had some energy to burn but I was cooked.

Hope everyone enjoyed the ride. I was allot slower than normal and fitness was crap but ill get back to my usual. See you on the next one ;)

• Like 7

Was great to get back on the bike after being off it for a while!!! Thanks to everyone for a good day!! Sorry I didn't say cya to everyone was keen to do a couple more tracks before calling it quits.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brownballs said:

That grassy paddock is actually private property Biggie. The farmer must be sick of the 4wds destroying it!!

Yes it may be private property, but there are not signs or fences to indicate this.

The star pickets driven into the ground would kill someone should they fall on them and when they get a little vegetation around them they will be very hard to see. I don't think that it is acceptable to do this, even if we wandered onto private property 

didn't know it was private property and ill certainly stay clear of it. Im just very against what they've done to block entry to this area, the hundreds of star pickets hidden behind logs can easily kill a rider.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BIGGIE said:

didn't know it was private property and ill certainly stay clear of it. Im just very against what they've done to block entry to this area, the hundreds of star pickets hidden behind logs can easily kill a rider.....

Good one Biggie. Hes been trying to stop people for a couple of years and as you can see he does go to some effort. Those logs he placed there are quite big and an obvious attempt to stop people and while I dont agree with the star pickets quite a lot of damage has been done over the years especially by four wheel drives.  Also not sure but if someone gets badly hurt on private property Im not sure if there covered by TAC. Someone may know better about this. You probably know your way around the private property Biggie but happy to show you if you dont.

Cheers Buzz

1 hour ago, buzz44 said:

Good one Biggie. Hes been trying to stop people for a couple of years and as you can see he does go to some effort. Those logs he placed there are quite big and an obvious attempt to stop people and while I dont agree with the star pickets quite a lot of damage has been done over the years especially by four wheel drives.  Also not sure but if someone gets badly hurt on private property Im not sure if there covered by TAC. Someone may know better about this. You probably know your way around the private property Biggie but happy to show you if you dont.

Cheers Buzz

thanks for the offer, even the s/t just off to the side sort of drops around another section of those grassy hills, I don't know a way to completely avoid the area so I might hit dissa with you one day ;)

I'm pretty sure that this would be covered by the criminal court. It is illegal to set traps that have the potential to kill someone.

We are talking about star pickets and reo rod driven into the ground all around knee high. 

When the area grows over these will be difficult to see.

I will be contacting both the DSE and the police to have this investigated, even if riders or tramper enter this area by mistake or on purpose it is wrong to set this trap. 

20160208_134416.jpg

20160208_134405.jpg

20160208_134426.jpg

• Like 2

gotta love Dissa - thankfully it never lives up to its name!

was good to catch up with a few familiar faces both before and after our respective rides and to also to also meet a few new people!

after initially putting my name down for Biggies ride I decided to run a seperate one when I got a text from JAWR asking if i thought he'd be able to jump on on Thursday night.. after we both re-read the thread and saw that there was already a few waiting in line we didnt think it would be fair to biggie to ask so opted to split off instead.

Tim05 decided to jump over as well and then Riles threw his hand up but couldn't make the 7:30 start time - no issue, I just told him we'd do a small loop near the cars and circle back by at 8am for him and true to his word he was geared up and waiting when we swung by!

we had a fairly eventful ride including a flat rear, broken brake lever and rather bent (or at least badly twisted) rear sub frame from a reportedly nasty off but still managed to cover 55ks of Dissa's finest inc the blue gums, car park tracks, hamburgers one and two, a swamp hill attempt (unsuccessful attempts by me, Tim and Kurnster whilst Riles and JAWR were smart enough to conserve their energy and wait at the top!) and finally a trip up ladder track. we even managed to pick up an extra rider (Kurnster) when our tube change at the cars coincided with Biggies group returning for a forgotten back pack - all though i suspect Kurnster may be regretting that call - I hope the bike and knee damage aren't too serious mate and will hopefully see you on another ride soon!

Dissa sure is ever evolving though, the ruts seem to have their own ruts, some spots that used to be tricky are now much easier and some parts that used to be straight forward are now challenging - as I said at the start, It never lives up to its name!

also Biggie, the first track you guys went down and the hill you took to get out - hats off to any level 2 riders that made it up there, assisted or not that's a fair effort for level 2 - Well done!

cheers

• Like 3

Hey 2t4me - had'nt ridden for a while but I think a lot of what we did was up around level 3 but the pace was just down. Yes that first hill is a doozy and I think most of us got up with no assistance. Perhaps BIGGIE can confirm as now there is no 2.5 I would like to know was it a level 2 or 3 ?

• Like 1

We were discussing dissa on saturday and i think really, if you leave the firetrails/transport at dissa your in level 3 terrain most of the time.... no matter who you ride with at dissa everyone does pretty much the same trails - just loops them differently etc... so, as a beleiver that you grade a ride based on the hardest trail included then i personally think pretty much any dissa ride will be a 3 - with the pace being the variable!

• Like 4

im glad you commented on that first track near the cars dusty. the hill to get out i found quite challenging, wrong rut and its super challengine. dont know what most of the riders used but i was in first for most of it giving my clutch a workout! I stalled once but got up an assisted so pretty please, i think that a genuine level 3 hill.

also I agree. the ride was ment to be mostly level 2 with a few challenges here and there, as soon as the entire group made it up that hill un-assisted i knew I had to step it up or id have a few bored riders on my hands, which is why i headed to hamburger 1 and 2 and the usual tracks around that area.

i once found an awesome but overgrown s/t near five ways which ive never been able to find again, anyone know of a good s/t close to that intersection? I would like to include it in my usual loop

• Like 1

Geez your right about those star pickets.... Nasty!! The photos show a pretty silly solution. Best I stick to my usual loop at Dissa which has never included that paddock. 

• Like 1

Interesting posts in here. Since it is now starting to be common knowledge that there are sections of private property (even though unsigned/unfenced) At Mt Disappointment, best everyone makes an effort to stay away from these areas and alerts others on upcoming Dissa rides so as not to annoy the landowner. I dont agree with the star pickets or the way he has gone about it but thats another whole issue

• Like 3

also I agree. the ride was ment to be mostly level 2 with a few challenges here and there, as soon as the entire group made it up that hill un-assisted i knew I had to step it up or id have a few bored riders on my hands

I appreciate you wanting to keep everyone happy biggie but ya gotta be careful with stepping up a ride higher than stated..

Someone may come along and struggle and waste energy getting up that level 3 hill.

Even though they got up then the rest of the ride suddenly becomes harder.

We can all handle a few higher level bits in rides but many won't admit when it all becomes too much.

I would hate to see someone hurt themselves because the level is beyond them.

Please don't think I am having a go at you. Just putting up what could possibly happen when ride levels are not stuck too.

• Like 6

I have ridden Dissa a hundred times and just follow tracks. I would have no idea if I have ventured onto private property or not. The only way I would know is if there is a fence, and then you just don't go!

There is no need for star pickets by owners, just put an obvious fence and 99% will keep out! If they Have no fence but choose to place star pickets instead, then they are being malicious! It would be much easier to place a signed fence.

11 hours ago, Geoffyboy said:

I appreciate you wanting to keep everyone happy biggie but ya gotta be careful with stepping up a ride higher than stated..

Someone may come along and struggle and waste energy getting up that level 3 hill.

Even though they got up then the rest of the ride suddenly becomes harder.

We can all handle a few higher level bits in rides but many won't admit when it all becomes too much.

I would hate to see someone hurt themselves because the level is beyond them.

Please don't think I am having a go at you. Just putting up what could possibly happen when ride levels are not stuck too.

certainly a valid point mate, ill keep that one in mind when posting up future rides

• Like 1

Looking at those photos. It looks like there is some downed fencing there.

I would say those pickets arent "traps" ,more like hammer them in everywhere to stop entry.

I've seen traps.and they are better hidden than that.

Not saying they are not dangerous if fallen on though..

You would surely hope a fence had been tried before this step as a small fence would have been easier to erect than hammering all those in..

agreed, the ground in this area is rock hard, would have taken allot of effort and even more time to hammer all these in........

most likely not an 'intentional' trap however once vegetation grows back these are going to be damn near impossible to spot until your on them.

• Like 1