Jump to content
Lyric

Girly tips?

Recommended Posts

This may sound silly (because I am far from girly) but I need some girl bike tips.

Any tips for hair under helmets? I usually wear mine up but the helmet sits wrong if i do so I try to leave it out but kinda twist it up. Fly aways are annoying. Any good solutions?

Also researching armour. Any 'female' ones I've seen are either pink (ew) or are not built for girls who actually have bewbs, and are just a chest plate. Am after a full kit that includes elbow plates. A friend recommend an axo aircage but he's a skinny beanpole. Any recommendations?

 

Plus share any other random tips you might have.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to tie my hair in a low pony and then plait it. My hair is long so it was a PIA. If I didn't. As for armour, I bought a men's oneal armour suit thingy (the stretchy mesh zip up ones that have the whole shebang) i got mine from AMX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah that's what I'm after. Do you find it comfy? One of the ones I was looking at was an Oneal Underdog II.

 

EDIT - Tried on a fox kit and the oneal one today, found the second less restrictive and slightly shorter back piece which was better for my height. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an oneal ( guys armour, can't remember the name) as I found all the girls armour to be uncomfortable when trying them on and I'm no fan of the colour pink.  I found the oneal chest pieces have a bit of bend in them too so they don't squash or dig into my boobs unlike the other ones I tried. 

As far as hair I usually go with a low pony tail and then plait as well. if you have too many fly aways and it's not too hot i'd suggest a super thin balaclava.  I wear one under my road bike helmet and it works a treat.  Also when on my dirt bike if it's dusty it helps to minimize the amount of dust i breath in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your input girls!

 

I came off the bike yesterday (first proper fall) doing a log hop and managed to bend up my bars and steering. Also jammed my shoulder which is now hurting like a mother. I was just in our paddock so didn't have my usual jacket on. Going to get armour today.

 

What bikes are you all on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will take a look!

 

The seat height on those is too tall for me. Not ready to upgrade yet, but there's really only one or two options I've found so far when I am. That's why I was curious what you all have.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lyric said:

Will take a look!

 

The seat height on those is too tall for me. Not ready to upgrade yet, but there's really only one or two options I've found so far when I am. That's why I was curious what you all have.

 

What bike do you have Lyric and what height are you? You can get your seat cut down a bit which gives a bit of confidence when your feet can touch the ground, but can bring other problems by not being able to move to the right spot when seated. You can  also get the suspension lowered to help as well, but that can be more of a hindrance as well with your riding. I was recently riding another female members bike that had been lowered to help her. When I was riding it (even though I am heaps heavier than her) it didn't have much travel, was rough and would bottom out way too easily. Some great riders are really short!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will take a look!

 

The seat height on those is too tall for me. Not ready to upgrade yet, but there's really only one or two options I've found so far when I am. That's why I was curious what you all have.

 

Best thing i ever did was complete the yamaha offroad course

http://www.academyofoffroadriding.com.au/entry-forms/

I used to stop on a hill and then fall off down the hill because i couldnt touch the ground. They teach you to accelerate to get balance, no need to touch the ground. I havent done an embarrassing flop down a hill off a stationary bike for ages :). If it wasnt on vid it didnt happen.

They also teach u heaps more. Just book into march course at merton near boonie doon. u will luv it. Post up for a group to go, we did ages ago and had a good size group went and camped at boonie doon caravan park

. A certain individual tried to start a shout too and one particular indiv partook and was a little sick nek day
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MrNoodle said:

What bike do you have Lyric and what height are you? You can get your seat cut down a bit which gives a bit of confidence when your feet can touch the ground, but can bring other problems by not being able to move to the right spot when seated. You can  also get the suspension lowered to help as well, but that can be more of a hindrance as well with your riding. I was recently riding another female members bike that had been lowered to help her. When I was riding it (even though I am heaps heavier than her) it didn't have much travel, was rough and would bottom out way too easily. Some great riders are really short!

Exactly. Don't want to have to modify for those reasons. My current bike is fine but when I'm ready to change up it'll be a challenge.

 

10 hours ago, FullySick said:

 

Best thing i ever did was complete the yamaha offroad course

http://www.academyofoffroadriding.com.au/entry-forms/

I used to stop on a hill and then fall off down the hill because i couldnt touch the ground. They teach you to accelerate to get balance, no need to touch the ground. I havent done an embarrassing flop down a hill off a stationary bike for ages :). If it wasnt on vid it didnt happen.

They also teach u heaps more. Just book into march course at merton near boonie doon. u will luv it. Post up for a group to go, we did ages ago and had a good size group went and camped at boonie doon caravan park

. A certain individual tried to start a shout too and one particular indiv partook and was a little sick nek day

Would LOVE to do a course like that, not near them unfortunately.

 

What other bikes are you on girls? Anyone have a freeride?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lyric said:

Exactly. Don't want to have to modify for those reasons. My current bike is fine but when I'm ready to change up it'll be a challenge.

 

Would LOVE to do a course like that, not near them unfortunately.

 

What other bikes are you on girls? Anyone have a freeride?

Just upgraded from a crf230 to wr250 six months ago. I took the bike to a suspension place to be set up for my weight and height otherwise I couldn't have ridden it.

 

I am a cautious rider to say the least and needed to be able to touch the ground for my own mental comfort. I will go back to near or full height when I am comfortable enough with the bigger bike.

 

Would love to look at the freerides but with all 4 in our family riding full size bikes $$$$ become an issue lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 2:35 PM, bombdiggitytothemax said:

I'm a taller lady on a wr250 , which is sadly not not running now , so looking at upgrading to a 2 stroke 250 or 300.

Dirty Diana and KTMFreeride350 are both on freerides , and both top chicks aswell! :)

Keep us updated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16 January 2016 at 2:18 PM, TooTimid said:

Just upgraded from a crf230 to wr250 six months ago. I took the bike to a suspension place to be set up for my weight and height otherwise I couldn't have ridden it.

Is there a massive difference in power between the two?

 

Would be interested in what the girls think of the freerides, particularly the 4 stroke. From what Ive read and watched they are an odd in-between bike that people either seem to love or hate, not much grey area. I get that they aren't built to be a full on dirt bike, mine now is just a trail bike (tt-r230) so isn't either, but goes everywhere I want it to. Not jumping or doing anything too hectic so possibly the next logical step. Only a few cms taller. Bummer about the tiny fuel tanks though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...