hxshagginwagon

KTM 300 lowering link

Has anyone had any experience with lowering the KTM's using the krooze tune or similar brand lowering link.  In particular the KTM 300.

I was hoping someone could give me some feedback from there experiences on the links before I go out and buy one.

Cheers

• Like 1

The lowering links are not always the best decision to get.

Yes they get your feet closer to the ground but they also lower the shock and this creates another problem in itself.

If the shocks moves down in its travel then it starts to work lower in the stroke to what its designed to do.

That in itself will hinder the shock working as its meant to and you will be blowing through the valving ...

Same principal if your to heavy for the spring you will be riding the shock to low and create a harsh ride and maybe causing damage with bottoming it out constantly.

This is just my opinion on the matter but I ride with a few people vertically challenged they just adapt to staying on the pegs or position the bike when they need to stop.

But in those spots where they need to dab a foot they can't which is the other side of the coin you could say, as a little problem to not using a lowering link ...

There are a few people on here that use & have ran the lowering link without issue, I just think that if your average or above rider it might hinder your riding ability ..

Good Luck with it all  :) 

• Like 4

Which type of 300 is it, exc or xc/sx ? The exc runs a pds without a linkage setup and the xc does. For the Xc/Sx, a fastway linkage guard which you can also lower the bike at the same time, not cheap !!! I have one on my 150Sx. Here is some more info http://www.promotobillet.com/c-729819-linkage-guards-ktm-linkage-guard.html . For pds you can get f bushings which lower the shock in the rear mount http://www.shop.synergyseals.com/product.sc?productId=36&categoryId=3 .

With both you can have shock internally lowered by your suspension tuner and also look at a lower seat which do help. 

• Like 1

Which type of 300 is it, exc or xc/sx ? The exc runs a pds without a linkage setup and the xc does. For the Xc/Sx, a fastway linkage guard which you can also lower the bike at the same time, not cheap !!! I have one on my 150Sx. Here is some more info http://www.promotobillet.com/c-729819-linkage-guards-ktm-linkage-guard.html . For pds you can get f bushings which lower the shock in the rear mount http://www.shop.synergyseals.com/product.sc?productId=36&categoryId=3 .

With both you can have shock internally lowered by your suspension tuner and also look at a lower seat which do help. 

I have the 300 exc and I was looking at the lack of linkage setup and I was perplexed on how the lowering link was going to adapt. 

Cheers I will do a little more research

In a linkage bike, running a lowering link only changes the leverage point and does nothing to the shock length.

Shock length is the same as before. The point at which it attaches to the linkage only changes.

But as you have found out, no linkage in the exc. .

Seat cut would be a good option. Depending on what seat it already has u on could order the low one from ktm.

• Like 1

Some of what the coot-mister says is correct, but to add further...I use one (cause I am a below average rider) and so long as the link only lowers 10-15mm max then they can even improve the ride handling characteristics in faster 3/4th gear by keeping the back lower/more stable, that's why some links like pro-circuit are advertised as a handling improvement, not lowering link.

In fact ktm went 10mm longer in the link from 2014 models to the 2015 models for improvements.

So long as it does not go more than 15 mm then no problems.... I recommend that you don't go for ones that report to lower an inch or more/ 25mm+ as yes then this of course will cause negative effects, rear wheel hitting guard, wrong swing arm angle,wrong linage geometry etc.

Edited by kmatts55
  • Like 1

I have the 300 exc and I was looking at the lack of linkage setup and I was perplexed on how the lowering link was going to adapt. 

Cheers I will do a little more research

it wont :) 

search for an "x bush".

• Like 2

Some of what the coot-mister says is correct, but to add further...I use one (cause I am a below average rider) and so long as the link only lowers 10-15mm max then they can even improve the ride handling characteristics in faster 3/4th gear by keeping the back lower/more stable, that's why some links like pro-circuit are advertised as a handling improvement, not lowering link.

In fact ktm went 10mm longer in the link from 2014 models to the 2015 models for improvements.

So long as it does not go more than 15 mm then no problems.... I recommend that you don't go for ones that report to lower an inch or more/ 25mm+ as yes then this of course will cause negative effects, rear wheel hitting guard, wrong swing arm angle,wrong linage geometry etc.

+1  wrong swing arm angle,wrong linkage geometry etc.

Edited by hoff300
  • Like 1

It is true that it upsets the overall angle of how the bike sits. .

It will increase the rake of the front forks if you only lower the back. Thus making the steering less responsive.

In saying that though if you are going 15 mm you can get that in sliding the forks up in the triples, removing the lower back than front issue.

• Like 1

Why is everyone discussing linkages? His bike does not have one. Great info though!

Pete there is a lowering bush you can get for the ktm PDS, X-bush think suspension matters sell them.

• Like 1

Exc has pds so no lowering link. You can get a adjustable x bush which can fit where the heim bush is but it's more a fine tuning thing for handling. It does adjust the rear of the bike slightly with different setting positions and is cheap.it also is greasable

Best and most expensive is to get it professionlly lowered and revalved to suit but only about 20mm which is heaps. The revalving is a must if you are serious about setup or it will be already riding low towards the midstroke which will make it harsh at the riding height.

Low seat option or a cut seat is a good and cheap option

• Like 3

Exc has pds so no lowering link. You can get a adjustable x bush which can fit where the heim bush is but it's more a fine tuning thing for handling. It does adjust the rear of the bike slightly with different setting positions and is cheap.it also is greasable emoji3.png

Best and most expensive is to get it professionlly lowered and revalved to suit but only about 20mm which is heaps. The revalving is a must if you are serious about setup or it will be already riding low towards the midstroke which will make it harsh at the riding height.

Low seat option or a cut seat is a good and cheap option

spot on cluffie

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone who replied. Ive decided to go the cut seat option. I have given the seat to a motor trimmer where they shave around 25 to 30 mm of the factory foam from the top and replace that with some super soft foam and recover. That way it retains its original look but when you actually sit on the seat it compacts down 30mm less than factory height.

• Like 1

I would just cut what you want out of it and not put the soft foam ontop. It'll make it harder to move quickly on the bike and to get forward when needed.

• Like 3

Yeah that soft foam on top would feel funny I reckon.

I cut 30mm off coises seat and it has plenty left and is not really any harder.

• Like 3