2 2
KTM350

AIR FILTER CLEANER

Ive been using the No Toil cleaner and oil.

I used petrol first to clean the old oil and crud out then started using the no toil gear.

Bloke at the moto shop suggested it to me and said it was pretty popular and cheaper than the other brands.

20 or 25 bucks I think for the kit.

cheers cam 

• Like 1

Turps. I have left an old air filter sitting in Turps for over 3 months and no visible damage to glues out cell structure. Felt just as strong as it would have been when new.

Low odour? What is wrong with you fully???

• Like 1

Same but Kero for me ... been doing it for years filters never break down or come apart !! 

Edit :  Forgot to mention I do use Hot soapy wash afterwards to get rid of any Kero ...  Then let it hang up and dry naturally 

I have a few spares so I just oil up a fresh one when I need to  :) 

Edited by Bandicoot
Coz I can ... Its my post !!!!
  • Like 1

Kerosine then rinse with soap then warm water works for me.

Always used petrol for years as a kid. Its alot cheaper,easier to get and we had no problems back then. We also used mineral motor oil as filter oil

• Like 3

NO-TOIL only the red bottled oil, a couple of years ago they started supplying some green bottled shit, didn't last long it was crap, they've gone back to the good red oil. The wash powder for cleaning is fantastic, I seriously wash the filters in the kitchen sink as it is bio-degradable!!!! After the wash rinse the filters with dish washing liquid done.  

Edited by hoff300
  • Like 1

I used to use turps to clean oil based filter oil. Now I use Rock oil water washable filter oil, never had any issues with it even on the dustiest rides. It's quick and easy to clean the filter after a ride.

Edited by Trento
  • Like 1

I used petrol for a while but I found after prolongued use it becomes 'foamy' like its full of dishwashing liquid

Now I use only mo-tech foam filter cleaner and find it works a treat

I know this is going to shock some, but here it is - wash with warm soapy water, then pre-oil with auto trans fluid or light engine oil, I have done this for MANY years. Note - I clean my filter after every ride

• Like 1

I know this is going to shock some, but here it is - wash with warm soapy water, then pre-oil with auto trans fluid or light engine oil, I have done this for MANY years. Note - I clean my filter after every ride

How do you clean the dirty oil of the filter after are ride, warm soapy water won't do that??

No toil is great with no toil products. I have used the red and green filter oils for over ten years now without any issue. Great products that are washing machine friendly. Prior to No Toil, Kero for me followed by soapy water, then rinsed clean with fresh water.  Would reuse kero for months running it through a strainer after use back into the storage bottle.

• Like 1

How do you clean the dirty oil of the filter after are ride, warm soapy water won't do that??

Yes, warm soapy water does realease the oil/grit. I repeat the process 3 or 4 times then dry on the clothes line.

• Like 2

Turps. I have left an old air filter sitting in Turps for over 3 months and no visible damage to glues out cell structure. Felt just as strong as it would have been when new.

Low odour? What is wrong with you fully???

My wife yelled at me :). Everything stinks.....yeah stinks good...didnt work..hemce low odour.

• Like 1

NO-TOIL only the red bottled oil, a couple of years ago they started supplying some green bottled shit, didn't last long it was crap, they've gone back to the good red oil. The wash powder for cleaning is fantastic, I seriously wash the filters in the kitchen sink as it is bio-degradable!!!! After the wash rinse the filters with dish washing liquid done.  

I've been using the no toil for a few years now, only ever had the green one and always thought it was a bit shit, thanks Hoff, now I know it wasn't just me.

The green one is water based, the red one is alcohol based, they went to the green because it is non flammable and easier to ship.

No toil is pretty convenient, you wash it in warm water with the detergent and pour that water down the drain, you just need to allow longer drying time for the filter, in winter just pop them near the heater for a couple of nights. The green oil takes a while to go tacky as it is water based, I make sure I oil it 2 nights before a ride in winter and leave my seat off for extra air, if need be I'll put an oiled one in front of the heater for rapid tackiness but be careful, that stuff is sticky as and will end up all over you're door handles etc.

• Like 1

I've been using the no toil for a few years now, only ever had the green one and always thought it was a bit shit, thanks Hoff, now I know it wasn't just me.

The green one is water based, the red one is alcohol based, they went to the green because it is non flammable and easier to ship.

No toil is pretty convenient, you wash it in warm water with the detergent and pour that water down the drain, you just need to allow longer drying time for the filter, in winter just pop them near the heater for a couple of nights. The green oil takes a while to go tacky as it is water based, I make sure I oil it 2 nights before a ride in winter and leave my seat off for extra air, if need be I'll put an oiled one in front of the heater for rapid tackiness but be careful, that stuff is sticky as and will end up all over you're door handles etc.

Yeah going on high country rides was where the green stuff was no good. I pre-oil and bag my filters, then change them at the end of the day, few water crossings the next day, green shit dripping from the air box, still safe enough to use but who want's to wait half a year for there air filter to dry? Red stuff works the same as any oil based product, put it on and ride 15 minutes later.:D 

• Like 1

I have just tried the notoil one for the first time this week.  I normally use kero and have a dirty and clean kero bucket but yeah stinks like I am working on aircraft fueling.  Wash with warm water and clothes powder then any of the good oils applied in a large zip lock bag with the filter in it.  So getting back to the notoil,  have only just applied it once using the red oil,  won't last long as nearly half a bottle gone on just two filters.  I found it hard to apply as it doesn't seem as tacky as other oils and is a lot runnier so hard to be confident that I had enough on (probably have too much now!). Have not gone through the cleaning part with the notoil yet so can't review it. 

have used the not toil for several years now - the green stuff and never had an issue.... always oiled my filters a few days before a ride and hang them in the shed until fitting the night before riding.

was really happy with the green stuff and washing them with no-toil is a breeze (with no smell!)..

however, as its now hard to get the green stuff I recently bought a bottle of the red oil... first impressions are I dont like it - it just seems far too runny and like Nicktriton above i found that I used far more of it to get a coverage I was happy with (and yes, I have probably used too much - but its not dripping out!)...

have made the decision to switch over to either Belray, Maxima or Motul filter oil when I run out of no-toil (which will be soon!) and am going to go to a "2 bucket system", 1 20L bucket with a good sealing lid half full with kero and a smaller (5ish litre) bucket with a good sealing lid. Wash the filters in the top half of the kero bucket then reseal then when rinsed and dry smear oil from the smaller bucket all over filter and work it through, any excess oil will be squeezed back into the bucket then the bucket will be re-sealed. by the time I need to wash the filters again the dirt and $hit will have settled in the bottom of the kero bucket so again, i'll clean them in the top half!.... decent pair of disshwashing gloves and the kero smell isnt an issue.

was speaking to one of the guys at bikemart about oil on the weekend and he said the big thing with filter oil is to make sure you keep the lid on the bottle (or bucket) as much as possible to prevent the alcohol that most contain from evaporating.... 

• Like 2

Are they not making the green anymore?

Luckily I have 4 bottles of it.

I will be spewing if I can't get anymore.

No toil is just so easy to work with.

You only need 100 - 200ml of mineral turps to wash a filter. Just use enough to break up the oil then finish the job with warm soapy water.

I use a small stainless steel bowl (only just bigger than a breakfast cereal bowl) and work about 50ml of the turps through the filter and throw the dirty stuff out. Same again two or three times. You don't need too much turps.

Next a bucket of warm water and a cake of laundry soap. Dip, scrub, dip scrub..... It's clean.

Finally rinse again in a bucket of warm clean water and hang up to dry in the lounge room on the clothes airer with the wifes delecates. When dry re oil or put it in a ziplock bag until needed and oil ready to use. I have three filters and usually do them all at once as a batch.

This is probably not the absolute easiest method but it is by far the cheapest way to clean a filer.

• Like 2