Lyric

Female help with choosing bike

I'm recently (at 30) getting back into riding, haven't really since I was a kid. My original intention was to get a road bike. I bought a cheap chinese bike that is 200cc and super low, easy to ride just to relearn the basics. But... I'm having fun on the farm and on the trails so now I'm leaning toward an off-road bike. My dad would prefer me not on the road too and as a nurse I see plenty of accidents. I was looking at 2 bikes - the crf230f and ttr230. Pretty much because I didn't want to go down in power and they were the best height-wise (plus have done a bunch of online research and want a slower trail style not a racer). After briefly sitting on both, the crf was far comfier and I prefer Honda so was leaning toward that. 

My dilemma is - I've read a bunch of forums on similar topics and its 99% of the time guys saying no get a 2 stroke!!! crf/ttr are too heavy and underpower and other non constructive things. Plus I've spoken with a few motorcycle shops and they all give different opinions and/or talk to me like an idiot. The style of riding I'm currently doing is farm and trails, mostly chugging along from 30-60km/hr. Not interested in jumping or tearing it up at this stage, just something reliable with decent suspension unlike my cheapy. So those bikes seemed ideal.

One opinion I have been told is that the crf150f is the same bike, just a bit smaller. That the engine is technically smaller but at the speeds I'm doing you will not notice a difference in power OR acceleration, only top speed is really different because the 230 has a 6th gear. Anyone tested this out and think that's true? I sat on it and it is certainly comfy in that it feels very light and I can touch flat feet. But as I said, I didn't really want to go down in power (though my cheap 200cc engine may be not as good as it who knows), plus I'm heavy and it's built for kids.

My local honda guy is really trying to convince me on the crf250L instead of the 230f. Like really trying. Because he says its newer tech - fuel injected, water cooled etc - a much better bike and not much bigger, and has the option of road registering which i may want later (but I'd want a road bike for that) and makes resale easier.  I haven't gone to get my license yet so I'd leave it unregistered. But it IS 30kg heavier! A lot more to pick up.

Sitting on the 230 it still felt light enough for me as I'm pretty physically strong, but I didn't get to tip it too far. It was a little nervy initially as its taller than I am use to but I could still touch on both sides, not tip toes either like balls of feet on a brand new bike (I'm 165cm). I can easily touch flat footed on my current bike.  The other problem is too there's no second hand ones around near me, except a 150f. Ideally it would be great to be able to test ride both but I can't see that happening. New or second hand?

So. Any girls out there want to weigh in on the 3 bikes (or others)? I'd really appreciate it!

• Like 2

The 150f is a capable offroad bike and excellent for trailriding. They are a bit small and low sometimes for tackling logs and I would think that if your over 60kgs geared up then a 230f would be a better option.

Both these bikes have awesome tractability and are so easy to ride. i know a young kid that put some seasoned level 3 riders on modern bikes to shame on a 150f on a ride on some gnarly trails. It actually surprised me how good the bike was. This applies for your description and not for faster type riding where more advanced suspension is needed.

Go for it and forget the 2t's for now. The weight of a bike is misleading sometimes and can have a blinker effect on decisions.

Nothing wrong with a 230.....For the type of riding you are describing, it would be the type of bike I would be looking for.

Don't let the weight put you off.  The suspension will make it feel like heaven compared to your chinger. 

2 strokes are not good for chugging around.

• Like 1

230 will.do just fine.

My wife rode one for a couple.of years.

Did everything from technical single to high country stuff.

Did it all with relative ease.

If you want to cruise around enjoying yourself go the 230.

Super easy to look after too.

• Like 1

My wife (late 30's) has just got into trail riding. She brought a ttr 230 and loves it , she is basically after the same sort of riding as you and has had little previous experience. She was very worried about not being able to stand flat footed initially, but is now super glad she did not go for the smaller bike, as the 230 isn't to heavy for her to keep balanced or pick up. It is more than capable to do everything she wants to do. She may upgrade to a beefier bike in the future but that would be a looong way of she is wrapt with her baby. Doesn't let me touch it (except for maintanance lol, which is a lot less than fuel injected) If you want any other info don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you all for your advice. Where have the girls gone?

I went back and sat on the 250L like the local guy wanted, and even he said it was bigger and heavier than he thought. The dealers an hour away seem much more helpful and not dismissive like them, so if I buy new I'll go there.

I went for a ride on my current bike on Saturday with some knowledgeable people. It was a little damp and the bike was sliding everywhere so my confidence is shaken. One of the guys said riding behind me the back wheel is barely touching the ground when it gets slightly bumpy because of how crap the suspension is. Think I need to upgrade now, or just go back to riding around on the grass on the farm, otherwise I'll end up giving it up.

I had earlier in the week thought I'd decided on the 150F, just because there is a second hand one near me, and because I was feeling so non-confident that the smaller bike would be ok. But now I'm still thinking that in a few months when I get confidence back it won't be enough, so the 230 would be better. It sucks being indecisive. 

I'm a Gemini....

I feel your pain... lol

Me too. Hahaha.

Thank you everyone. Ended up picking up a TT-R230 as one came up good price, female owner hardly used and is able to be road registered to put off the rangers. Wanted the Honda more but you just can't put em on the road. Haven't really gotten to ride it much yet (just a few minutes around the paddock) as it wasn't running great due to sitting for a year and had road tires on. Plus it's been raining non-stop. 

Spent all last weekend with dad stripping it all back changing oil & filters, checking valves, changing sprockets and tires and adjusting everything. We'd done everything and it still wasn't running right, just about to give up and take it to the shop when we found the sweet spot on the mixture screw and now it is running beautifully. The clutch is a bit worn so may have to do that soon. Electric start is heaven. As is actually having some suspension!!

Now need some time off from work to actually get out on it. 

• Like 5

1. Knobbies and sprocket going on, chain adjusted.

2. Valve & carby checking.

3. Done.

Asyiz.jpeg

IMAG0537.jpg

IMG_1390 2.JPG

Edited by Lyric
  • Like 1

The screw is hidden under a plug you have to drill out to access, and is almost impossible to reach once all put back together. I know dad tried one and a quarter turns first and that was no good. He read on the net somewhere a full two. But in the end we just had the bike idling (BADLY) and he blindly adjusted it until it stopped coughing and popping and over revving. Perfect now. He honestly has no idea where it ended up turns wise. 

Haha, no worries.

I drilled out that plug on my Mrs' bike to try and power up the bike a bit more with bigger jets, no exhaust tip, no airbox snorkel...it turned out to be a waste of time and made it run crappy so I put it back to stock.

I gathered that the Aus delivered model must be a tad different to the American model I was reading about on the website :(

That's exactly what we're doing. Jets haven't arrived though yet. If you adjust while idling I'm sure you'll find the sweet spot as we did. Made a tool by filing down a long screw I think to be able to reach it.