Trunks

Folding Motorbike Trailer Review/recommendation?

Due to where I live I require a folding trailer so I can store it in my backyard. The main requirement is that the trailer must fit through the gate. I looked at the Carlex Easy Trailer and Bulldog FMT and ended up purchasing the Easy Trailer.

Easy Trailer - http://www.easytrailer.com.au/

Bulldog FMT - http://bulldogfoldingtrailers.com.au/product/folding-motorcycle-trailer-single-track/

I first tested the FMT but the trailer was used and the track/channel where the front wheel sits was bent flat(the up bit where the wheel sits in and stops it from moving forward). The owner used the ratchet style straps and cranked it so hard that it bent the front wheel track/channel and flattened it out a fair bit. This caused the bike to roll forward on bumps and would shoot the shock block out then the straps became loose. Not good. The idea and design of the trailer is excellent. It folds up small and when you move/wheel the trailer when it's folded it is wheeled on the tyres. The trailer is expensive at around $2,000 and it doesn't have any suspension.

For the con's on the Bulldog FMT I went with the Easy Trailer. It doesn't fold as small but is much more ridged (relative for a foldable trailer). It's much cheaper at $950 all up. The issues I have with this trailer is that when it's folded it wheels on casters. I have to wheel the trailer on blue stone which is not very flat. I have put bigger casters but this is still an issue. I also have to fit and remove the wheel channel every time I use the trailer. The trailer is ridged enough for me, it has suspension and the bike feels secure. The trailer takes about 20mins to wheel out and set up ready to load the bike. This is a pain in the early morning before the ride as I'm not a morning person, then at the end of the ride when I'm exhausted it's a pain putting away. Because of this, I set the trailer up the night before and padlock it to the car and leave it in the street. The trailer has just been stolen so I'm in market for a new trailer. I can't get one that sits on the hitch as I don't have enough ball weight capacity.

Has anyone used an FMT that hasn't been bent? Does anyone have any other ideas? If all else fails, I will just get another easytrailer as it was a good trailer. I'm just looking for something easier.

That sux. It's unbelievable how many A holes out there think they have some sort of right to take what they want. Even if it isn't nailed down they should leave it @&$)(&@$ alone and buy their own. Had my tow hitch pinched a couple of weeks ago, not a big deal but reminded me that scum is everywhere these days.

Heard a story the other day about a trailer chained to a tree. The bloke who chained it watched 3 scum oportuists try to steal while having coffe with his neighbour. I would love to catch one of these scum in the act.

• Like 1

Solid looking trailer highrr.

Was there a thread on here about that particular trailer not too long ago.

Looks like it would last forever..

Yes mate, there was a thread about it.

It's a great trailer, nice and easy to store, easy to load a bike on and tow around.

He is looking at making a 2 bike trailer now, I have seen the design and it looks very interesting.

• Like 1

That sux. It's unbelievable how many A holes out there think they have some sort of right to take what they want. Even if it isn't nailed down they should leave it @&$)(&@$ alone and buy their own. Had my tow hitch pinched a couple of weeks ago, not a big deal but reminded me that scum is everywhere these days.

Heard a story the other day about a trailer chained to a tree. The bloke who chained it watched 3 scum oportuists try to steal while having coffe with his neighbour. I would love to catch one of these scum in the act.

What really sucks is that I have a security camera out front of my house but it didn't cover the other side of the road where the trailer was. It was parked out front of a construction site that have signs up saying it has 24hour surveillance but I can't see any cameras. Cops are going to look into it.

Yes mate it all folds up to all most fit in a big bag,

he can make it to fit your needs, in my case the wheels come off, and the trailer separates in the middle and I can then carry it out the back door and store it in the side lane.

It takes about 5 mins to pull a part and the same to put it together.

Yes mate it all folds up to all most fit in a big bag,

he can make it to fit your needs, in my case the wheels come off, and the trailer separates in the middle and I can then carry it out the back door and store it in the side lane.

It takes about 5 mins to pull a part and the same to put it together.

How does it go without suspension on rough roads? Do you mind if I ask how much you paid?

Yeah the trailer is fine on dirt roads, I have taken mine everywhere and never had an issue at all,

It's around $900.00 which I think for an Australian made product which is made in Sunbury is very fair

his customer service is excellent, and he is happy to add your ideas to the trailer should you want something different etc.

Yeah the trailer is fine on dirt roads, I have taken mine everywhere and never had an issue at all,

It's around $900.00 which I think for an Australian made product which is made in Sunbury is very fair

his customer service is excellent, and he is happy to add your ideas to the trailer should you want something different etc.

Thanks mate

I just got off the phone with Andy. He is a really nice guy. He is going to draw a new design up on CAD to fit my requirements. He had already been thinking of something similar to what I want, so I called at a good time. I'll let you know how I go.

Yeah great, he is a very nice guy and always happy to help and his CAD system is fantastic

I'll watch with anticipation to see what you come up with as mine gets a lot of attention and comments. 

• Like 1