What Have U Done To Your Bike This Week
8 8

763 posts in this topic

Mate you will find all it will need is to give the dust&fork seal a clean, and it will stop wiping. 

That larger stain next to it is the rest of the oil. Stupid me has never cleaned the seals. The suspension hasnt been touched for 3 years so im gonna book a service due to my past experiments with adjusting this stuff hasnt gone well. Never had these issues my tank (DRZ).

That larger stain next to it is the rest of the oil. Stupid me has never cleaned the seals. The suspension hasnt been touched for 3 years so im gonna book a service due to my past experiments with adjusting this stuff hasnt gone well. Never had these issues my tank (DRZ).

And buy a fork cleaner

It’s not KTMs fault if you don’t keep your bike maintenance up

It’s not KTMs fault if you don’t keep your bike maintenance up

Ive gotta blame someone
  • Like 2

Andy fork oil should be done every 40-50hrs for trailriding to keep the bike healthy and handling well.
This could be stretched out a bit longer if your not riding in mud or wet conditions and you have a good maintainance schedule.
I always change fork oil before and after the winter riding season.
Now that you've left it so long, you will most likely need to change the fork bushings as they will be worn and the forks will be apart,so they're easy to change.
I pop the dust seals down after every wet muddy ride and clean up in there between the dust and oil seal. This limits leaks and works well. Once the mud and grit is in there it can't get out and it works it's way into the fork and wears the internals.
I don't clean in between the oil seal and forktube unless it's leaking as it stretches the seal and crap gets it more easily.

Andy fork oil should be done every 40-50hrs for trailriding to keep the bike healthy and handling well.
This could be stretched out a bit longer if your not riding in mud or wet conditions and you have a good maintainance schedule.
I always change fork oil before and after the winter riding season.
Now that you've left it so long, you will most likely need to change the fork bushings as they will be worn and the forks will be apart,so they're easy to change.
I pop the dust seals down after every wet muddy ride and clean up in there between the dust and oil seal. This limits leaks and works well. Once the mud and grit is in there it can't get out and it works it's way into the fork and wears the internals.
I don't clean in between the oil seal and forktube unless it's leaking as it stretches the seal and crap gets it more easily.

Its coming up to 50 hrs now with original oil. Beau at choice suspension told me will basically be foam instead of oil and im due for a service as you said. Im comfortable with other servicing except for suspension. He reckons $550.00 front and rear. Thanks for the tips on cleaning the forks mate,much appreciated and ill have to buy some dust covers
  • Like 1

Its coming up to 50 hrs now with original oil. Beau at choice suspension told me will basically be foam instead of oil and im due for a service as you said. Im comfortable with other servicing except for suspension. He reckons $550.00 front and rear. Thanks for the tips on cleaning the forks mate,much appreciated and ill have to buy some dust covers

Forgot to mention choice originally did my suspension set up which included lowering/heavy duty valves in front and heavier weight rear spring set to my weight.
  • Like 1

Washed it.

New front sprocket.

New rear wheel bearing, one side was flogged out something shocking, other side was fine!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pygmygod said:

Washed it.

New front sprocket.

New rear wheel bearing, one side was flogged out something shocking, other side was fine!

Would be the sprocket side that was flogged ? The Sherco has 2 bearing on sprocket side & i replaced 1 @ about 2,500 klm

Been wondering why my Sherco rear brake was bad to non existence ? been doing a bit of work on it, & it looks like the piston is jamming

So it looks like i'll pull caliper apart & replace seals & give it a good clean !

• Like 1

13 hours ago, eagle said:

Would be the sprocket side that was flogged ? The Sherco has 2 bearing on sprocket side & i replaced 1 @ about 2,500 klm

Correct.

Mate reckons it's because the sprocket side gets a lot of force exerted on it with the jerks from accelerating. Must move it enough to allow water in I guess.

It was so loose I could pull it out with my fingers...no bashing with a drift required.

• Like 1

Brakes seem to be working great now after giving the piston a good clean & blowing it out , can't go for a test ride as Mario has my seat, i finely bit the bullet & am getting it cut down so i can get my Duck legs closer to the ground ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1