motoz

KTM 08 300 Re Build Thread

i can see a gauge in the swingarm :blink:

Thanks for reminding me there Anth... Yes the swingarm took a licking in the rocks!

Its all good, chicks dig scars... lol

:)

Sorting through the electricals...

300buildpics.jpg I started by laying everything out on a bench. All connections were checked and wires inspected for damage.

I replaced half a dozen or so terminals that were corroded or looked a bit sus. The loom was also stripped from its outer sheath and new sheathing fitted. This enabled my to re direct and move wires along frame spares where they were more protected...

300rebuildpics001.jpg300rebuildpics006.jpg

300rebuildpics007.jpg (heat sink for grip heaters)

300rebuildpics008.jpg

The CDI was cleaned and re installed... 300rebuildpics003.jpg

Radiators and Rad Guards fitted...

300rebuildpics005.jpg300rebuildpics004.jpg

From here it was onto the stator. This was about to receive the 'wet stator mod'...

KTM 'Wet Stator Mod'

This is a mod performed to KTM 2T with electric starters to lube the bendix and gears within the start system. It involves the sealing of the ignition cover, as there's a cast drain hole, The instalation of a vent and the filling of the stator with 60ml of oil. For this I use 5wt fork oil.

Heres how you do it. First lay out all you need as per usual. Check, inspect and clean all the parts in the system...

300rebuildpics062.jpg

The stator I'm using in the 300 is the Trail Tech. It produces just shy of 200w of power. This runs 100w worth of HID lighting and grip heaters as well as 12v power for GPS / ipod charging... lol

300rebuildpics063.jpg there's a drain hole in the casting of the stator cover. This needs to be filled so the oil won't drain out...

300rebuildpics064.jpg the rubber gromet is where we'll install the vent. A hole can be punched through withy a leather punch, for the vent a 6mm vaccume line barbed joiner is used. This will meet up with the PV case vent and with an inline T to connect with the frame mount.

300rebuildpics065.jpg the stator / pickup bolted to the cover. (use locktite)

Run a bead of automotive silicon as well as the instal of a new gasket... 300rebuildpics066.jpg

check the 'Bendix' is in good order, internal spring is working and all the cams are inplace...

300rebuildpics067.jpg300rebuildpics068.jpg

the Bendix is placed in position and the ignition cover installed. Silicon the gromet and around the vent...

300rebuildpics069.jpg300rebuildpics070.jpg

Part two...

I felt the vent needed a little more support. I added some Heat Shrink to the vent and stator wires. This bound them together and added the extra support I was after...

300rebuildpics071.jpg

I left the system for 24hrs to wait for the silicon to cure. Using a syringe fill the ignition cover with 60ml of oil. Either fork or ATF.

300rebuildpics090.jpg300rebuildpics091.jpg

The secondary drive gear is installed, a new gasket fitted then the starter motor. Waterproof grease is put on the end of the startes motor shaft and a new o ring installed...

300rebuildpics092.jpg

300rebuildpics089.jpg

300rebuildpics072.jpg

Covers installed and we're good to go !

Usefull Bling...

Sure it doesn't make you go faster but dam it makes it easier and looks good to boot...

300rebuildpics015.jpg Shock Sox... saves those seals...

300rebuildpics017.jpg F2 Rear Brake Shoe... bigger than std... beveled on the inside to minimise cover damage...

300rebuildpics021.jpg F2 Billet Rebound Adjusters... easier to grab with gloves on...

300rebuildpics022.jpg Enduro Engineering Axle Pull... easier to remove rear axle...

300rebuildpics073.jpg Pivot Pegz MK3... 60mm wide (std 50mm) and 20deg pivot for and aft...

300rebuildpics039.jpg F2 Rear Caliper Radiator... finned alloy heat sink... no more boiled rear riding Mallee S/T...

to be continued...

What an awesome read motoz. great info and progress snaps. those buffed section look real nice.

This has inspired me to be a little more adventuress when it comes to working on the bike, so far its been stock standard oil changes.

Cheers again for a great read.

lookin forward to seeing the finished product white plastics and all

great read so far mate!

top effort as well taking all the photo's whilst pulling allnighters to be ready for your trip to mt cole - well done

Im with these boys mate! your a machine, to do what you did in the short time and to find the time for pics and the write up, mean effort!!!

Motoz, this is such a good thread, thanks for your efforts!

I will have to do the wet starter mod.

Thanks Paul.

With the wet stator mod don't add any more than 60ml of oil or you'll make a hell of a mess !

Also my speedo had water in it I tried to clean it out with contact cleaner, short circuted and fried the bloody thing... lol

Might get one of your Trail Tech ones.

Looks like it's all coming together with the rebuild Motoz, the bike is looking sweet! Is it white plastics you are putting on it aswel. Milktoasts White Kato looks good I reckon. I keep mine pretty standard but may get a bit adventurous soon and put a rear fender sticker kit on.

Cheers, Storky.

Thanks Storky !

Got a letter today...

721e7238-9ce2-480d.jpg. 721e7238-9cfc-3a0f.jpg

2m of Orange silicon tubing from a bloke on KTMtalk. It's to replace the carby vent lines that have hardened and are beginning to crack...

$8 score !

Is it white plastics you are putting on it aswel. Milktoasts White Kato looks good I reckon.

I keep mine pretty standard but may get a bit adventurous soon and put a rear fender sticker kit on.

Cheers, Storky.

Yes mate white plastics are on the way... To get it ready I had to put the originals back on. The've done 1 x 24hr trial... lol

Stickers are cool...

300rebuildpics093.jpg

300rebuildpics094.jpg

300rebuildpics097.jpg

300rebuildpics095.jpg

300rebuildpics096.jpg

300rebuildpics098.jpg

I think I'll go a mix of Factory and Custom graphix on the white plastics. DirtriderZ will be well represented or course !

Man!! Every time I see the orange frame I'm envious!!!! Just Awesome!

PS. Your headlight looks like a suprised face haha. Bright I'm guessing?

Dale.

PS. Your headlight looks like a suprised face haha. Bright I'm guessing?

Dale.

Yeah mate there bright once they fire up. The guys were spun out on a recent ride I went on.

My mate Casey8 on here runs one on his 2010 530. On our high country tour the boys punked it with the paint pens. They drew eye lashes and big red lips it looked like a giant blow up doll... lol

Induction

With the motor all sorted it was time to look at the bolt on bits. The carby was put through the parts wash and scrubbed clean. I then inspected all the hoses, some had gone hard and were getting brittle. Replacements were sort.

721e7238-76e8-5985.jpg

The fuel bowl was removed, the fuel had evaporated away yet the oil had varnished the inside, drain your carbys for storage people...

721e7238-7773-4356.jpg

This cleaned up with throttle body cleaner. Next I checked the float height, 16mm on this carb...

721e7238-77e2-fae7.jpg

Pilot, main jet and needle were changed to suit the Mule port... I up'd the pilot to a 38 from 35, decreased the MJ to 162 from 165 and changed needles from a KTM N3CJ to a Suzuki 07 RM250 NMRJ...

721e7238-7905-7488.jpg

721e7238-7956-6c67.jpg

With jets and needles sorted next was the fuel bowl cap. I'd read up about the F2 Fast Cap. This was designed by some blokes while building the worlds fastest dirtbike. They found their CRF was leaning out at WOT and re designed the cap. It has a lower profile than STD and is concave inside...

721e7238-7a9b-6383.jpg

721e7238-7ab7-ce01.jpg

As the 300 will do a lot of sand work I went for the install. I will test WOT with and without the cap over Easter and post the results...

To be continued...

The Rm 250 jet needle sounds interesting! Be interested to see how that performs and what gains it gives.

I like the idea of the better profile carby bowl plug/screw bolt thingy!

Throttle cable...

It's no use having a clean, well jetted and crisp carby if your throttle cable is crap. A cable oiler is worth it's weight in gold. Available for under $10 it should be part of everyones kit.

721e7238-7ba3-3f0f.jpg

Attach the clamp like so... A few squirts with the brake cleaner...

721e7238-7cc7-b275.jpg

721e7238-7ce2-479f.jpg

Look at all the crap that comes out...

721e7238-7d16-8625.jpg

Flush and re lube with ol mate Mr Silicon spray and were in business.

Next was to replace the hoses that were damaged...

721e7238-7db1-e5a0.jpg

Both sides of the carb sealed to stop debris entering...

721e7238-7de6-9ee2.jpg

2m of silicon tube for $8 from a guy on KTMtalk... Bonza !

721e7238-7ec5-770e.jpg

721e7238-809f-991e.jpg

721e7238-80bf-d4b7.jpg

Who said you can't bling a carby...

721e7238-7ffd-54b7.jpg

A pic of a 'hemostat clamp' at work and how much easier it is to do jetting changes.

The Rm 250 jet needle sounds interesting! Be interested to see how that performs and what gains it gives.

I like the idea of the better profile carby bowl plug/screw bolt thingy!

Out of all the needles I've used thus far, N8RH, N2ZJ & N3CJ this Suzi needle seems to be the best. There is no burble or flutter anywhere in the throttle opening.

I first installed it in the middle clip then dropped a clip at Mt Cole and it was spot on. Zero lag instant and constant pull.

Lovin' all that bling Motoz! Quick question...Is the orange rear brake shoe standard size? Or do you know if it's possible to get larger ones? I always seem to be searching for mine when I need it..

It's larger than the STD one. The inside edge is beveled also to stop it puncturing the cast clutch cover in the event of an off.

I bought a billet cover off Anthony... Didn't need it... When you've gone this far what's a little more... lol

721e7238-994c-2e40.jpg

I bought the Midwest Mountain Clever Lever from cd01. It fitted beautifully and I have to say lives up to the claimed 50% reduction pull force needed.

3aa3af84-3937-25ab.jpg

It really is a single finger operation, the wide blade increases it's easy of use...

3aa3af83-3983-09a3.jpg

I can't wait till the front brake leaver is released. After the 300 odd kms over the weekend I was cheering the super light clutch in the tight S/T !

The last few pieces of the epic 300 rebuild arrived today...

I predict a big night in the shed tonight...

3aa3af84-3415-410f.jpg

3aa3af86-33e7-5927.jpg

3aa3af83-33fe-d9f5.jpg

I'm looking forward to getting the white plastics on for a fresh new look. I went for the full Cycra Power Flow body kit. Its for the SX so ill need to add fasteners for the EXC tail light.

An Acerbis X Seat and foot peg covers. Two great products. I also ordered a 170pc replacement fastener kit to get all the bolts back to STD. They've got everything from brake pins to sprocket bolts, exhaust washers and more. For $49 it was great value.

3aa3af86-3c14-915b.jpg

3aa3af84-3c29-2925.jpg

There will be a lot of advertising space available on the plastics if anyone wants to flick me a PM and make an offer... lol

These additions will all but finish this project. I'll post final pics and full specs in the coming days.

;)