MRunknown

Ts185? Oil? Fuel? Vin?

Hi guys, just picked up a old ts185 (VIN: TS185-52467 cant find year from that.... somewhere around 1976). its missing its oil tank, where does the oil tube connect? to the carburetor? there is a brass inlet hose barb on the bottom of the carb, is that where it needs to connect? does it need a "oil pump"? can i premix 2 stroke fuel and put it in the tank? i have heard that can ruin bearings.... so any help would be much appreciated. :)

I had one of similar age and found most of the time the oil pump system didn't work.

Rather than running the bike not knowing if it was getting oil, I just ran premixed 2 stroke straight in the tank.

• Like 2

I had one of similar age and found most of the time the oil pump system didn't work.

Rather than running the bike not knowing if it was getting oil, I just ran premixed 2 stroke straight in the tank.

thanks, are you 100% sure just premixing wont damage anything? the oil pump doesn't lubricate bearings or anything? if your right that makes it a lot easier for me... the current throttle cable only has 1 line connected to it...

When working it injected oil into the fuel and just creates 2 stroke fuel.

It's a basic 2 stroke engine.

Gearbox bearings are lubed by the gearbox oil.

Big and little end bearing lubed by oil in fuel.

Mine ran like that for years and then years with my dad riding it.

• Like 2

When working it injected oil into the fuel and just creates 2 stroke fuel.

It's a basic 2 stroke engine.

Gearbox bearings are lubed by the gearbox oil.

Big and little end bearing lubed by oil in fuel.

Mine ran like that for years and then years with my dad riding it.

Great, thanks. i wont bother with the pump then. and i don't need a oil tank either! :D also, one other thing, why is there 2 spark plugs? one on center and one of to the right?

There's a good chance the oil bottle was taken off because it wasn't working anyway..

I can't remember about the two plugs.

Probably a twin spark set up to better burn fuel.

Take them out and see if you get spark out of both.

I remember Nissan pintara's had twin plugs in them for a while.

Just reviving this thread, are you realy sure that you can disable the oil pump and just premix? because i am on the TS185 forum and they are all saying that it will seize all the left side bearings, and that anyone who does that is a "danm idiot". here's the link: http://suzukits.informe.com/forum/ts185-f7/new-to-the-forum-have-a-problem-t2315-20.html#p20374

Stuffed if I know.

I ran mine for over a year and then my dad ran it for about the same time as me at the mx track. Then he sold it and the young guy that rode it then did so for another year or so before he blew it up by thinking it was a race bike..lol

If the tube from the oil pump goes only into the carb then I cannot see how it will make a difference..

I can understand if the line from the pump also goes to the engine and directly injects it in there. But I don't think it does.

Well looking at that forum.

I guess I am a dam idiot too.

Oh well. :)

They run a long time with no oil on those bearing....lol

And just to be clear my opinions on this matter do not reflect that of dirtriderz.com.

They are my personal view and should be taken as that.

Please don't post stuff like that up.

Well looking at that forum.

I guess I am a dam idiot too.

Oh well. :)

They run a long time with no oil on those bearing....lol

lol, okay, if yours lasted that long, i trust that, but just to make sure its not a year difereance, where the oil pump was mounted behinde the chain on yours was there like a hole that it injected into? there seems to be on mine. and also at the manifold where the carboretor bolts on was there a small brass pipe? i assumed that it was where the oil got injected out... i'l research this further...

Not sure of my year.

It had a blue tank..lol

I just had a look at some stuff and there is a good chance if removed on one that needs it to lube the left main bearing that it will fail.

Please make sure before doing anything..

Who knows. Mine may have been modified?

Not sure of my year.

It had a blue tank..lol

I just had a look at some stuff and there is a good chance if removed on one that needs it to lube the left main bearing that it will fail.

Please make sure before doing anything..

Who knows. Mine may have been modified?

yes i am being careful.. dont worry :) i'l try to find out my exact year and see how it worked... not dealing with any money here - the bike was free. this thread is done again i think lol.

I don't know if this is the same as yours but I found this with a quick search.

I didn't remember seeing and holes or bolts on top of the gearbox where those lines would have bolted to.

80f7be06c186722be6c8ddd2c93b798a.jpg

This is a 1972 model.

I have this feeling that mine was late 70s

Dam it you have me googling now...lol

Looks to be a few different designs of the pump.

Some with lines that run to the case and some that don't have anything but one to the carb..

Good luck working out what year you have.

Maybe take the Vin to a suzuki dealer?

Dam it you have me googling now...lol

Looks to be a few different designs of the pump.

Some with lines that run to the case and some that don't have anything but one to the carb..

Good luck working out what year you have.

Maybe take the Vin to a suzuki dealer?

Thanks i'l see if i can work out the vin on the internet, there is a way to decifer it...  their case over on the TS forum seems to have a lot of "experience" behind it but not a lot of sense. one guy tried to say the reason the throttle cable was also conected to the pump was becuase it needed a more oily fuel mixture at higher rpms, but thats not true.... when you rev higher it sucks in more fuel, and so that means it needs to maintain its 40:1 fuel mixture and that means it also needs more oil to maintain that ratio...

Sounds like you will be spending some time in front of the pc sifting through a ton of information.

Good luck