youngfella

Track/loop Information – Sharing Or Secret.

I know that this has been raised before.

Since I have been with DirtriderZ I have been on many great rides throughout Victoria. More places than I could think of riding if I hadn’t joined this forum.

I have also taken my GPS on such tracks so that I could revisit them in the future and take other people for a ride.  
I along with many people have also been on many rides which some people have put a lot of time and effort into making a great loop as I am sure that a lot of us have.

Some loops lead on to another loop that I have ridden from another ride.

I have been given and have also received great GPS tracks via email.

Out of all the times I have ridden on great loops I have only been told once to not tell, bring or show anyone else a certain track. (The person that showed me didn’t want it torn up by dozens of people riding it which to me is fair enough and I respect that. So I have never taken anyone else to that place)

To me any loop that has been shown to a group of others is free to use by anyone who has ridden it. Am I correct?

Are our state forests a public place for anyone to ride and enjoy the many klms of tracks or are they a secret place?

The reason I write this thread is that a mate and I with a few other people had been on a ride with another person about 8 months ago (Not from this forum or anyhow related to this forum) and now that person has dropped all ties with us because we took some other people on this particular track because that person put such hard work and effort into this certain loop. (Mind you it was a pretty obvious track J  and I had ridden it with a few people on this forum before)

If you ride a track with a group of people is it free to use after that unless you have been asked not to.

What are other people thoughts to track/ loop sharing?

• Like 1

I would probably respect someones wishes if they took me to a secret location and showed me a trail they made and asked not to bring others to it and rip it up. But in saying that if someone stumbles across your trail in public forest then big deal you cant write your name on it. I have had exactly the same thing happen to me got accused of taking people there to ride a secret trail, 1 it wasnt me who went back there, 2 it doesnt have your name on it..

I love the idea of making your own trails and sharing them with others to go and enjoy, but not everyone els is the same.

Reminds me of when I was a kid building secret tree houses in the bush and on return to your secret spot you realize some others had been in your tree house and you get upset that someone has invaded your territory!!! GGRRRR!! :-)

• Like 1

Hmmmmm..... another can of worms! But an interesting topic all the same!

I think, as above, if someone shows you a track and specifically requests you keep it secret then its best to do so... but havind said that maybe that request is also a bit naive as well?

In days gone by people would get their backs up if some took a gps on their ride - now days your just about the odd one out if you dont have one - or at least an app on your phone!

Its frustrating returning to ride what was a pristine fresh track only to find that its now flogged out but as also stated above - its public land and those that have used it in the mean time ultimatly have as much right to ride it as anyone!

Personally, i find that some of the joys of riding are being led around by people in areas you dont know and in turn leading others around areas they dont know....

I can understand the frustration experienced by thise who put A LOT of time and effort into creating tracks but sadly, unless theyre on your own private fenced off land they will inevitably be found by the masses......

• Like 1

Yes i'd respect there wishes and would ask them if you wanted to ride it down the track with a selected few. Large groups i'd suspect wouldn't be popular.

In the wet gumby riders destroy tracks,constantly getting stuck,digging holes in inpredictable spots and chewing it up in one passing. In the dry not so bad.

• Like 3

I did create few of my own loops riding Fridays on me own and sometimes with other dirtriderz, the reason I do it is to share the loop with other dirtriderz and because I like exploring/creating loops.  Someone would say hard work but for me its not a hard work as it is something I like doing, yes I do go on others organized rides and save the loop on my gps and try to connect that loop with some other tracks I done and don`t think there is nothing wrong with that. Lost count how many rides I organized on dirtriderz and always happy to share the loops I done.  In saying this people have different opinions and some are not happy to share there loops  and that's fair enough and what I learned recently if you do use others peoples loops would be a good idea to ask if OK to use that loop again without the person who showed you the loop. 

Also if you are organizing rides on a public forum it is hard to ask people not to use your loop as how can you show people some nice tracks and expect from them to never go there again, my understanding of public forum is to share with other members and if you don't like sharing  you should not post up rides.

• Like 6

Yup..

If you don't want anyone using "your" track then don't show anyone.

Although I find people saying it is "their" track rather funny.

Or buy your own land and do what you want.

I would love to see what these people do when and if they see a random person down a track that they think they have exclusive rights to..

• Like 1

Wow and I thought fisherman were bad ...LOL

seems simple ..if you don't want anyone to know don't show anyone...but if you don't show anyone   no one can tell you have great it is....

People take GPS out on charter trips and plot the spots so I think claiming ownership of a bush track is a bit OTT.

Luckily I cant ride well enough to have an issue of owning a secret spot ..

jet 

• Like 3

May as well share them before the Gumby people ruin them. Because they will find and flog them well before anyone from here would get the chance to ride them, its just a matter of time unless you keep the entrance well hidden.

I also think in some cases more competent riders using a track can actually make it better, nice berms/more lines.

So it's a quality not quantity thing in my view.

Maybe a sticky about track preservation for the new guys might help? With stuff highlighting what not to do

• Like 1

I made my own single track up at Mt worth , spending weekends with the chainsaw hacking out a loop , other people know it's there but not enough to stop it from become over grown , spend more time trying to maintain it than riding it , so if your up there feel free to tear it to shreds

• Like 4

I'm with Geoffboy. I find it really weird that someone would attempt to claim ownership of state land. If you want your own tracks, fork out the money and buy a big bush block, cut your own loops in, don't invite anyone over to share it with and then go home feed your 12 cats , watch back episodes of Greys Anatomy and sip on a nice Shandy and tell yourself what a great day you had. You could also video tape your expeditions but don't dare put it on the intraweb just in case someone shows some interest!!

• Like 17

I'm with Geoffboy. I find it really weird that someone would attempt to claim ownership of state land. If you want your own tracks, fork out the money and buy a big bush block, cut your own loops in, don't invite anyone over to share it with and then go home feed your 12 cats , watch back episodes of Greys Anatomy and sip on a nice Shandy and tell yourself what a great day you had. You could also video tape your expeditions but don't dare put it on the intraweb just in case someone shows some interest!!

Hahahahaha

It's such a fine line between tracks becoming overgrown through lack of use

.....and being flogged out highways with too much traffic.

A lot of work can go into building tracks,,,,  maybe those that do none of the work ,,  should so

• Like 6

Yup..

If you don't want anyone using "your" track then don't show anyone.

Although I find people saying it is "their" track rather funny.

Or buy your own land and do what you want.

I would love to see what these people do when and if they see a random person down a track that they think they have exclusive rights to..

agree with this

If you make a sticky about track rules this should be the first thing they see :-)

I agree with u all 

I have ask ppl not to gps some of my rides /loops that i have lead. 

I like knowing that i can take people out and that  they ride the place so much they didn't know some of the gems i no. we all have some true

this will never end 

its the some as posting a ride at level 3.5 whats a level 3.5 to u is not the same as me.

I have posted rides and let ppl no what is going to happen what to expect and still say yep im cool with that  u take them out and boom they r gone done dusted.

So lets just all meet up and ride flat green grass in a paddock that would be so much fun we all no the same then  

I know that this has been raised before.

Since I have been with DirtriderZ I have been on many great rides throughout Victoria. More places than I could think of riding if I hadn’t joined this forum.

I have also taken my GPS on such tracks so that I could revisit them in the future and take other people for a ride.  

I along with many people have also been on many rides which some people have put a lot of time and effort into making a great loop as I am sure that a lot of us have.

Some loops lead on to another loop that I have ridden from another ride.

I have been given and have also received great GPS tracks via email.

Out of all the times I have ridden on great loops I have only been told once to not tell, bring or show anyone else a certain track. (The person that showed me didn’t want it torn up by dozens of people riding it which to me is fair enough and I respect that. So I have never taken anyone else to that place)

To me any loop that has been shown to a group of others is free to use by anyone who has ridden it. Am I correct?

Are our state forests a public place for anyone to ride and enjoy the many klms of tracks or are they a secret place?

The reason I write this thread is that a mate and I with a few other people had been on a ride with another person about 8 months ago (Not from this forum or anyhow related to this forum) and now that person has dropped all ties with us because we took some other people on this particular track because that person put such hard work and effort into this certain loop. (Mind you it was a pretty obvious track J  and I had ridden it with a few people on this forum before)

If you ride a track with a group of people is it free to use after that unless you have been asked not to.

What are other people thoughts to track/ loop sharing?

and for all the people that want the track for there self put a massive creek jump or giant log or rock it will put off most
  • Like 1

It's such a fine line between tracks becoming overgrown through lack of use

.....and being flogged out highways with too much traffic.

A lot of work can go into building tracks,,,,  maybe those that do none of the work ,,  should so

1000% AGREE

alot of guys spend alot of time out there cutting sweet tracks and looping it all up for us so it can keep flowing nice, so I would respect if they asked not to save it on there GPS, to find out that a week later they post it up as there loop and take all the credit for it, I think is abit unfair also.

Me I don't have a GPS I like to go on organised rides and try other people's loops out, but I think if someone wants to save a loop they should ask the person that put it together and let the people know who put all the work into it

• Like 1

most secret trails have been there for years and were found by a person who showed a person who showed you. It's how things are.

Wow where do people get off thinking they can controll who does what in a state forest, like we don't get enough of that. If we never rode tracks that someone else put there then most of us would never ride. I've spent time putting loops together and it is hard work but the biggest layoff is seeing others enjoy it as much as I do. Nothing better than riding new tracks no matter who put them there. Instead of cursing "gumbies" for

Destroying tracks maybe put some time when riding with less experienced riders and show them some easier techniques to help them not only ride better but have a less damaging impact on tracks. A few pointers on logs hills can make a big difference not all of us are blessed with natural ability and have to work hard at their skills I know I do

• Like 13

You could also video tape your expeditions but don't dare put it on the intraweb just in case someone shows some interest!!

Brownballs for PM!   

Hey and nobody is forcing anyone to cut or maintain tracks..

So please don't complain when not everybody thanks you for it.

If tracks were not cut I am sure I would find something to do out there all day on the bike.

Before forums I used to be able to find shit to do..lol

I haven't got the patience or the desire to maintain tracks..

I appreciate being led on some nice tracks and I let the lead know this.

• Like 3

Hey and nobody is forcing anyone to cut or maintain tracks..

So please don't complain when not everybody thanks you for it.

If tracks were not cut I am sure I would find something to do out there all day on the bike.

Before forums I used to be able to find shit to do..lol

I haven't got the patience or the desire to maintain tracks..

I appreciate being led on some nice tracks and I let the lead know this.

Years ago when i started riding the 4x4 tracks were overgrown rutted , slippery and quite challenging..

As time has passed the DEPI or whoever they are these days have turned most of them into wide gravel highways

that the family commodore would hardly even scrape on.....

In turn  we need some good quality s/t to get our kicks out off...

The high country is an exemption to this though

So you just cruise along fire trails if you are to lazy to give a bit back to the s/t fairy's that put many hrs into there work !!

My main gripe is not who rides tracks , but the time of year they ride them....I.E  too wet

I've ridden over wombat like a crazy thing lost...just going anywhere. My gps tracks in totality look like veins on a wombat leaf. Almost any loop i have been on goes on/through/past these tracks. So they are not secret and can be 'looped' just by using a 'i will take any track that goes up to the right on my gps' for example. So like it or not the forests arent that big and people will find tracks...we even found someones private mtb track in the middle of nowhere with no visible entry exits.