Steering Dampers
3 3

16 posts in this topic

Looking into steering dampers for my crf, as anyone who rides one would know head stem shake gets abit on the nerves at high speeds especially on sand.

So who's got one, what brand, are they all that great to have.

I'm looking to set my bike up for a desert race or 2 which is why I'm looking into them

My 2010 450 came with one from factory and I know for a fact that when wound off all the way it does get alittle wiggly on high speed transport sections. But stops as soon as you wind it up. So it seems to work for that

Ask scottland, i tested his 3fiddy and it had a dampner on it...

Yep I've got one. Almost never use it.

I havent ridden in the sand yet, but I've been told they're exceptional in the deep stuff especially at speed.

They do help in really rocky stuff too, but I normally remember to put it on after I get through the rough stuff.

I think mine is a bsc brand but not sure.

Looking into steering dampers for my crf, as anyone who rides one would know head stem shake gets abit on the nerves at high speeds especially on sand.

So who's got one, what brand, are they all that great to have.

I'm looking to set my bike up for a desert race or 2 which is why I'm looking into them

Check your sags!i find crfs super stable at any speed.

1 person likes this

Now that you mention it. That was before I had it resprung when I first got it.

I thought shit what have I done buying this..lol

Now that you mention it. That was before I had it resprung when I first got it.

I thought shit what have I done buying this..lol

Bike has been resprung, and sag adjusted. Only other thing I'm looking at is getting the suspension revalved.

One of our saorc rounds is at scorpion park again this year and it's a shit place, endless whoops and deep soft sand. And I'm considering having a go at hattah within the next few years

How much static sag are u running?did u do it your self or did the suspension place set it up?

If they did set it up,the spring would have sagged in the first 5hours or so,so it may need re adjusting?!

I race myself and I've had a 450x and now the 450r and never seen the need for a damper!

Only time id say a damper is a must would be hattah/finke.

Ps.a revalve would make a big difference!!

But at the end of the day its your coin.so if u want one get one :)

Not sure what the static sag is set at without measuring it, but rider sag was set at 100mm, yeah looking at getting a revalve done for a bit more plushness.

This is why I'm asking about them, to see if it's worth the money to shell out for it.

The scorpion park track is very chopped out as the run the 4 juniors classes before the seniors. So some parts of the track get ridden over probably 2000 times in the day

My CRF shakes pretty badly when pinned on the straights. I have ohlins on both ends and would have to say the set up is dialed. (And it has a damper)

It was all because of my position on the bike. I adjusted myself and haven't had an issue since!!

I've got stegpegs so I'm usually leaning back against them, might just keep training and see how I go

I ride with an Ohlins SD533 steering damper absolutely love them, although it's cheating because you can keep it pinned through just about anything!!

Also spazzer clutches aka Rekluses are cheating and i strongly disagree with these hahahaah

2 people like this

The 08 450x comes with a damper factory fitted. I thought all CRF450s did. Well there you go. I run mine full compression and have never had any head shake.

The 08 450x comes with a damper factory fitted. I thought all CRF450s did. Well there you go. I run mine full compression and have never had any head shake.

yeah 08 onwards a damper is std hardware on the hondas....love it :)

1 person likes this

Been riding my 13 CRF for a year in deep sand where i live. through whoops and what not. Got stegpegz and a scotts damper and the bike feels like a totally different bike. Had the stegpegz on first while waiting for damper to arrive. Have since put the damper on and have been for only one ride so havent really set it up to much yet but can feel it makes a huge difference already. Just playing around with it started at 8 clicks went for a bit of a ride ended up on about 12 clicks and leaning back on the stegpegz the bike feels like it barely deviates!! Loving it already.

1 person likes this